Anyone using a Pulsar Apex XD50S?

nr123

Tried looking with search function, but don't find much reference to this unit? My skills on the computer may be at fault. Looking to move into a thermal scope without breaking the bank. Anyone have one of these scopes, or experience with one? Pros and cons needed.
I've been using my Photon 4.6, but the small fov and not being able to find a coyote in the scope is killing me. Moving from my Pulsar HD19a while scanning to the Photon is a disaster. Rarely can I find my target. Appreciate any help.

nr123,
I too am thinking about going with the XD50. In order to save some dollars I am considering the XD38 as well. I am very pleased with my HD19A as well! That little thermal rocks! Have you watched Archersparadox2020 on youtube? This guy is also on Pm and he uses the XD75. From what I can tell the 3 scopes are pretty much the same except for the size of the view? Maybe?
From what I can tell....the Pulsar line of thermal scopes is the best bang for the buck.

My Hunting buddy uses a 38A. It's really good for the money. My feelings are if you're looking at the price point of the 50s you might just save a little more and go up to a 640 Armasight or even a bit more to an IR Defense unit.

I've killed a bunch of critters with the 38a and it is super easy to use and the picture quality is great. I'm sure the 50 is a good bit better. I have an HD 38s spotter and I can tell a difference in the LCD to the OLED.

One thing about the pulsar though that I feel is a drawback is its a pretty large unit and the housing doesn't seem very sturdy compared to a thor or an armasight.

UNV is a good source too. He uses what he sells. I have a XD50A thermal and am very pleased with it. I went from a 4.6 digital to the Thermal unit because of difficulty I was experiencing of finding a coyote with my FLIR ps32 and not being able to see it well in the digital scope. Going to the thermal scope fixed all that. I enjoy a much wider field of view and am able to make longer shots with the thermal as well. You can simply see stuff a lot further out with the thermal unit. I looked at OLED screens and could not see that they were worth the added expense. I am very happy with my 50A. I've had it for over a year now and it has given me a major advantage over wiley. I still have my digital scope as well as some Gen 3 stuff, but I don't hunt with anything else now. If I were starting all over and buying a night vision device today. I would start with the XD50A. I wouldn't spend extra money on the higher rated scopes. I just don't think you need it.

Just remembered one other reason I went to thermal. The puff of smoke that you get when you fire a rifle with a digital scope on it will reflect IR and give you a flash that blinds you momentarily. Not too many ways to avoid that completely. With the XD50A you are able to keep right on shooting. I've been able to use mine on an AR and kill three in one batch. I absolutely love that scope. I've been out in all kinds of weather with it. Cold has not been an issue and I've hunted with it was 10 degrees above. I don't do that much as I don't really hate myself enough but I did not have issues with the scope. I wholeheartedly recommend the EPS3 power pack or an equivalent to use with the scope. It'll let you go through the whole night without power issues. I don't do videos with my scope, but it is a must if you are going to record I think.

I too have been quite impressed with the Pulsar XD38A. We've got some good footage through it as well. Have not had an opportunity to try out the XD50(A) or XD75(A) yet but I hope to review it soon. I'll be sure to report here once I do.

It would be great at some point to get a through the scope pic of a Pulsar LCD and an OLED display for comparison. Probably hard to photograph good enough to show the difference. I can probably do it at some point, I have a HD38s spotter and my buddy has a HD38a spotter. He also has the 38a Apex as well. All the pulsar stuff has worked great for us.

It might not make much difference to some, but the 50S only has black or white crosshairs while the 50A has red, green, black, and white options. So far I like the sepia color screen as it seems to be a little easier on the eyes, but I haven't really had an opportunity to do a full-fledged hunt with it yet.

I made the plunge, scope is mounted and sighted in. Hopefully can remember what all the buttons and dials control. Hope to try out on some hogs tonight. Report to follow.

If you haven't already, get yourself a DVR. It makes it way more fun to be able to look back on the hunt. Also, make sure it has a good plug connection. Recoil can unplug some of them.

Well, good news and bad news. The scope worked great. Tried coyotes first, but no takers. Kept noticing some flashes of light, it's coming up a storm. Making a hasty retreat to truck, a long way off carrying all my gear. One last scan with my HD19A and hogs everywhere. Sat down with shooting sticks, hogs lit up thru the scope like daylight. Made two quick shots, hitting two hogs, but they made a bee line to the fence and property line. Not what I planned, but the hogs tend to favor the property line where there is a swamp nearby. The property owner was happy, he just wants to get rid of the hogs.
The 50S is really a game changer for night hunting. Hopefully, I'll have better weather, and a better report next time.

Definitely a game changer. Thermal is where its at for shooting pigs and coyotes. I don't really use my night vision except head mounted to drive around the property. Most of the time I'm fine to ID with thermals

Back