bullets for game

ed# 5

what bullets have you had best results with in the 6.5 grendel for deer ? will the 100gr. nosler ballistic tip work?

I tend to agree - 123 SST over the 100 NBT. The NBT will work - it'll kill deer - but you d@mned sure don't want to hit anything hard on a whitetail deer.

You also shouldn't expect an exit wound with a lot of bleeding with the NBT - so if you're hunting in dense woods or brush where you need the deer to leave a good blood trail if it doesn't drop right away, I would NOT use the NBT.

It's pretty soft, but the cannelure and locking ring help keep the jacket and core together. The NBT has a thicker jacket near the base, but nothing to keep it from separating.

Having that extra 23% mass sure doesn't hurt either. 65% weight retention on a 100grn pill is a lot less than the same retention on a 123grn when you need an exit wound to drive a blood trail.

It's rare for me to recommend an SST over an NBT, but deer hunting in the Grendel with a 123 instead of a 100 is one case where I'd make an exception.

Back