Jackrabbits/PDogs as bait?

hunter4fun

How effective would it be to use freshly killed jackrabbits or pdogs as bait? Both are easy kills in Seligman and Nevada. Shoot them in the morning and come back at night? Throw them into a big pile or leave them scattered?

I would think they would have to get a little smell to them to attract them in, unless one just happened upon them. never tried it but I have thought about, especially when hunting antelope eaters every year in Seligman.

I can put out fresh bait mid day and almost every time they are on it at some point during that night. They are smart enough around here to not touch it during daylight hours.

Something eats those dead bodies fast... At least if I go on the weekend they aren't there anymore the next week. If I go to Seligman I don't see hundreds of PDogs and see other people shooting them all day long but I don't see any dead bodies besides my own so something cleans them up in a day or less...

Here in PA on a hot summer day I shot a groundhog in the morning and by the afternoon had a coyote come out and try to run off with it.

I shoot p-dogs by the thousands out here.
Just about every time I hit the same spot the next day or 2 everything I shot is gone.
I have had coyotes come in and snatch them up while shooting & they are nice easy shots of opportunity.
They know that gun shots around a p-dog town = food out here.
Id say at least 1/3 of them are taken by birds of prey as they will land while we are shooting to eat them.
Fox, badger are others that come in day/night to eat easy meals.

I count on pds to have coyotes come into the area after I shoot them. I don't call until October as I want them nice and big in the fall They are a great meatsource and none are there the next day. I need to go again as it is Cooling off.

This reminds me very much of my favorite saying in predator hunting. I think I used it the first time about 5-6 years ago.

"Don't count em if you don't call em."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: songdogstick 'em in your pockets when you go calling, almost as good as bacon, I hear.

I seem to remember a post about a can with burning charcoal under the strips of bacon to waft the bacon smell, would it work with P-dogs on the grill, too?
tongue_smilie.gif

All the coyotes I've shot eat their prairie dogs raw.

PD towns are coyote lunch counters.

Last edited:
Back