Lightweight barrel

jk2paintworx

I am putting a lightweight Ar together for carrying on long walk ins. I am trying to keep the costs down but want to build a accurate shooter so I am willing to spend a little extra on the barrel and trigger. I am looking at a BHW barrel and trying to decide between the pencil profile and the lightweight profile in 18". Anyone have experience with either or both of these or have other suggestions?

I just went back the the site and they also offer a slim profile that is between pencil and LW. How much accuracy will be lost going with a 16"vs 18"?

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxI just went back the the site and they also offer a slim profile that is between pencil and LW. How much accuracy will be lost going with a 16"vs 18"?

Very little until the heat hits. I'll look for some weights tomorrow.

Greg

Length has no effect on accuracy!!! the speed will be the only difference and not by much if any with handloads... my slim profile shoots just fine and the same with the light weight.

I built my 6x45 with a BHW 16" LW barrel. Wish I had done my homework better and went with the pencil profile. Most of the use is by my grandkids using it for deer hunting so barrel heating wasn't a concern. If you are not going to be shooting a bunch at one time then I'd go with the pencil barrel to help cut down on weight.

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxI am putting a lightweight Ar together for carrying on long walk ins. I am trying to keep the costs down but want to build a accurate shooter so I am willing to spend a little extra on the barrel and trigger. I am looking at a BHW barrel and trying to decide between the pencil profile and the lightweight profile in 18". Anyone have experience with either or both of these or have other suggestions?

I have a 16" slim profile BHW barrel. It's a little front heavy, and I would definitely go pencil if doing it over. Still love the barrel, don't get me wrong, but would love to have less weight out there.

Thanks guys. I have a heavy barrel AR that I use for shooting dogs and playing at the range so heat is not a concern on this build. I forgot to mention that I will be using a supressor (if that makes any difference).

Back