CZ 527 varmint question

bobcat93

I purchased a cz 527 American about 3 months ago..I love it..so I decided to pic up another one..this the I purchased a CZ 527 varmint.
I have been reading that the varmint version doesn't come with scope rings...
My question. Is ..does this version need a ring base? Or do the rings mount directly to the receiver just like the cz 527 American.
I would like to see pics of your Cz 527 varmint set up, please post what your objective diameter is ..40mm..50mm and ring mount size and brand..thank you

I have the same gun with an old 4-16x44AO redfield on it. I was using the high CZ rings, but got sick of the flat head screws for the ring caps. I recently went Warne (1B1M) and a 3-9x40 Leupold. The rings mount right to the receiver and do not require a base but you can attach a rail (which attaches to the receiver in the way the rings do) and then use any picatinny ring if you choose to.

I don't think I have any pictures right now, as I am in the process of switching things out as described above.

Last edited:
On my 527 American I purchased an aftermarket bolt knob, used warne med. rings. to keep it down low..a picatiny rail would be great, but do not want my scope sitting so high ..it would work great for me because I have a scole with Warne QD rings on it I switch between rifles..and a rail would save me alot of money not purchasing another scope. But a rifle with a poor cheap weld just doesn't cut it for me..and I don't want to add a cheap riser to this rifle..
Can you post pics after you change to a rail and let me know how the height of your scope center line..thanks

Ok, I have a 527 Varmint and I have a set of Millett rings that if sell you. They are made for the CZ receiver. They were too low for my vortex crossfire. They are 30mm though. But yes, they mount straight to the receiver BUT not all rings fit their receiver rail. You have to buy CZ specific rings.

A buddy is running a set of CZ rings on his Varmint with a 50mm Leupold, clears the eyepiece fine as the Leupolds have a smaller diameter eyebox, another running a 40mm Weaver w same CZ high rings.

Getting ready to order a 204 CZ 527 Varmint and possibly the 17 Hornet in the same gun. Will be running Warne rings in either medium or high, depends which clears the eyebox on my Elite 4000, 40mm.

Bobcat93 who, where did you order the aftermarket knob from?

Here's my setup in the CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet. Bases are the same as American version but I did have to buy rings. Rings are the CZ brand 30mm tube, tall (16mm tall I believe). The scope on it in the pic is a 50mm objective and clears the barrel with a few mm to spare. Height of the setup feels fine and doesn't bother me at all. Love this rifle and it's been doing very well for me on everything from ground squirrels to coyotes.

badger.jpg

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusHere's my setup in the CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet. Bases are the same as American version but I did have to buy rings. Rings are the CZ brand 30mm tube, tall (16mm tall I believe). The scope on it in the pic is a 50mm objective and clears the barrel with a few mm to spare. Height of the setup feels fine and doesn't bother me at all. Love this rifle and it's been doing very well for me on everything from ground squirrels to coyotes.

badger.jpg

Sent you a PM weasel.

I bought a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet a couple months ago. I had plans of putting the DIP Inc. pic rail on it so I ordered one. It came, niece rail by the way, and mocked up a 50mm 1in tube scope I had with some low rings. The DIP Inc pic rail slides over the 16mm dovetail that's on top of the 527's and is held in place with 8 tiny little set screws that screw down through the top of the rail and against the top of the receiver. With low rings that barely allowed the scope to clear the barrel, for me, the scope was a little high for the comb height and I had to slightly lift up to get a full view through the scope. For me, this was a no go and would have required a cheek pad or a different scope/ring setup.

And, since the CZ 527 is a rather slim-ish gun that 50mm scope looked like crap sitting on top of it. Kinda funny because James Calhoon, who is a character, told me a 50mm scope looks like sheet on 527's. Guess I should have listened.
crazy.gif

Ordered a Zeiss Conquest hd5 3-15x42 to put on it but it's been a marathon waiting to get it. Ugh!!

Originally Posted By: B23I bought a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet a couple months ago. I had plans of putting the DIP Inc. pic rail on it so I ordered one. It came, niece rail by the way, and mocked up a 50mm 1in tube scope I had with some low rings. The DIP Inc pic rail slides over the 16mm dovetail that's on top of the 527's and is held in place with 8 tiny little set screws that screw down through the top of the rail and against the top of the receiver. With low rings that barely allowed the scope to clear the barrel, for me, the scope was a little high for the comb height and I had to slightly lift up to get a full view through the scope. For me, this was a no go and would have required a cheek pad or a different scope/ring setup.

And, since the CZ 527 is a rather slim-ish gun that 50mm scope looked like crap sitting on top of it. Kinda funny because James Calhoon, who is a character, told me a 50mm scope looks like sheet on 527's. Guess I should have listened.
crazy.gif

Ordered a Zeiss Conquest hd5 3-15x42 to put on it but it's been a marathon waiting to get it. Ugh!! Noticed Calhoon has those Hunker rings, supposed to allow you to mount your scope quite a bit lower.
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/images/rings2.jpg

Originally Posted By: MoYoBomberOriginally Posted By: B23I bought a CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet a couple months ago. I had plans of putting the DIP Inc. pic rail on it so I ordered one. It came, niece rail by the way, and mocked up a 50mm 1in tube scope I had with some low rings. The DIP Inc pic rail slides over the 16mm dovetail that's on top of the 527's and is held in place with 8 tiny little set screws that screw down through the top of the rail and against the top of the receiver. With low rings that barely allowed the scope to clear the barrel, for me, the scope was a little high for the comb height and I had to slightly lift up to get a full view through the scope. For me, this was a no go and would have required a cheek pad or a different scope/ring setup.

crazy.gif

Ordered a Zeiss Conquest hd5 3-15x42 to put on it but it's been a marathon waiting to get it. Ugh!! Noticed Calhoon has those Hunker rings, supposed to allow you to mount your scope quite a bit lower.
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/images/rings2.jpg

Whenever I get my scope, which hopefully is next week, I'm sending the whole shebang to him for a little fine tuning and to have a few inches lopped off the barrel and threaded. I'll be using his rings, too.

Back