6.5 Creedmore Boolits/ IMR 4451??

pyscodog

Looking for some opinions for a good hunting bullet for the Creedmore. Something in the 120 grain weight. Got opinions/ recommendations? Also, have you folks tried the new (to me)IMR 4451 powder? I bought a pound today to give it a go. They said it was the best thing since pockets on a shirt.

Not the Creedmoor variant, but my 6.5x47 Lapua slings the 130 gr AccuBond very well. And it is great on deer IME. very little wasted meat with a lung shot...no extra trauma. I'll send up some pics shortly.

I was using RE-17 for my loads...but I do like the looks of that 4451 stuff. Maupybe when I get back I will give it a go.

Pics are interesting. Looks like that bullets works good. The 4451 is not supposed to be effected by temp changes and give very consistent velocities.

123 gr Amax, one shot drop in their tracks, great expansion,bullets exited on both. Exits were maybe bigger than those shown above but good shot placement led to no meat loss. Several coyotes sewn into a fancy coat some where met the same end. They are "match" bullets that at one time were also listed as hunting bullets,I've ran them in multiple calibers and have never been dissapointed.

Nice work with the RAP 93 !! & tks 4 pics

On 4451, I've been using it in a 243 RAP for 105 gr AMAX and am pleased so far. The 4451 kernels are large enough to cause a little metering issue, but I'm using it anyway on the heavy 243 pills.

I'm about to venture in the H4451 and 6.5 Creedmoor myself. I'm going I be using 143gr ELD-Xs as I plan on using the rifle for antelope hunting in WY this fall. Last year I used 140gr Amaxs and they were awesome. Shot great and am disappointed they aren't carrying them anymore. But I'm also excited to see how the ELD-Xs perform at longer distances.

I shoot a creedmoor, running 140 grn Berger VLD's, over H4350. Very happy with the performance, and will be using them on elk this year as well. sorry I can't help with powder, have never used 4451, Ps. don't make fun of my little mulie I shot the wrong deer! (its tradition) ha, ha, ha!

received_1097977160214656_zpsevlgzzzr.jpeg

received_102033554500452181_zpsxylqya9g.jpeg

received_10203463673150728_zps5sqioobr.jpeg

Last edited:
My first 6.5 Creedmoor was a Ruger V/T I found a great deal on and I used it one season to shoot a few Culls.
I used 123gr Amax loaded with 39.0gr of AR Comp and it hammered deer just fine.

Originally Posted By: venaticMy first 6.5 Creedmoor was a Ruger V/T I found a great deal on and I used it one season to shoot a few Culls.

Curiosity has me, any idea what the AR Comp was running for velocity?

130 Berger HVLD, H4350, 210M, Hornady Brass, 22" BBL. I trim meplats to guarantee proper expansion / fragmentation.

PRB did a comparison test of some of the new IMR Enduron powders and tested them against the Hodgdon Extreme powders of the same burn rate and the Extreme powders were still the more stable powder. IMR4166 was very close to Varget. The Enduron powders were still very good and better than most.

Here is link to test. http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/06/19/powder-temp-stability-hodgdon-extreme-vs-imr-enduron/

I use RL17 in a slow twist 243Win with light bullets and it is very temp sensitive but I have heard others say it is very stable. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: venaticMy first 6.5 Creedmoor was a Ruger V/T I found a great deal on and I used it one season to shoot a few Culls.

If thats a "Cull", I would be more than happy to help you get rid of those runt deer!! LOL

Back