I've seen it all now

hm1996

Staff member
Went to the range today to catch up on some load development that had been on hold for almost two months while waiting for new chronograph.

A fellow drove up while I was letting my barrel cool. He said he was planning to shoot a few rounds just to check out some iron sights on his new AR10 and check for feed/function.

He set up on bench beside me and I watched while he fired first round. It did not eject so he ejected case manually and chambered another round. I moved to his right so I could watch the BCG and sure enough it didn't move.

He said a fellow built the upper for him recently. I got the idea that this might not have been the first range trip, but not sure. Any rate he asked what could cause that and I suggested that maybe the gas block was not lined up w/port as I could detect no movement at all of BCG. He chambered a third round and same song.

I asked if I could take a closer look and problem quickly became obvious. Would you believe an AR won't cycle without a gas tube?
huh.gif

Apparently, very fortunately, the block was not aligned with the port or he would have had a face full of gas and he was shooting without any eye protection.

Regards,
hm

i hope he plans to take the upper back to "the fellow" who built it and beat the crap out of him with it.

i mean.. good lord. i have no words for that level of ineptness.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei hope he plans to take the upper back to "the fellow" who built it and beat the crap out of him with it.

i mean.. good lord. i have no words for that level of ineptness.

He commented that he didn't know what to do next and I suggested that he might want to take it back to the "fellow" (his words) that built it............or not. Personally I believe I'd find another "fellow".
smile.gif

Quote:hey easy guys the builder was probably from California and was working on some Clinton approved single shot models lol.

Hey varminter, I hadn't thought of that! You may be on to something.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: GLShooterMakes me wonder if the "fellow"was the guy pulling the trigger.

Greg

Ya know, Greg, you probably have something there. He did mention he had built the lower, "but had a fellow build the upper" and asked how one would align the gas port/block when I mentioned that misalignment was a possibility and before I looked closer and noticed the gas tube was missing.
lol.gif
He's one lucky dude that the port was misaligned, too.

Fortunately, I explained to him how the action functioned and that he would have gotten a face full of gas if the holes were aligned, so hopefully he'll get some help before trying it again.

Regards,
hm

On another site, there is an old thread where a fellow asked what was wrong with his AR. It originally had a carbine length gas system and he converted it to a middy. The problem he was having was the handguards being blown off every time he shot it.

His "conversion" consisted of getting a longer gas tube, drilling a new gas port and relocating the gas block. He didn't even try to block off the original gas port

A friend of mine shot IHMSA silhouette for years. Those pistols they use have a SCARY trigger (in the ounces, not lbs.) He tells of a fellow who had a Remington bolt action "pistol" in 308 Win. with a muzzle brake and was letting a friend shoot it when he noticed the friend was waving the muzzle around carelessly, endangering others on the firing line. He reached over and grabbed the muzzle brake, the gun fired and the blast stripped a couple of his fingers down to the bone!
scared.gif

Regards,
hm

Back