Ever wonder if you made the right choice??

Keep the Harley
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660The quest for the ultimate gun is half the fun. Sell it an move on.

This!!!!!!! Most wont admit it, but everyone's favorite gun is the next one!!!

Easy Psychodog, I got one of them katoom kiddee scooters 2. Ktm 300XC, in the barn with the harleys. And yep, I have acouple of Brownings that I am thinking of kicking to the curb. A BAR in 300win, and a BLR in 308. Never use them, thought that I would love them, just taking up space.

My biggest problem is I like the Ruger. Even if it is a Jap made POS. LOL I know trading it off, I'll be on the short end. A local GS offered me a Tikka CTR for it yesterday. The Tikka is nice but I'm gonna take a bath on the trade.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksEasy Psychodog, I got one of them katoom kiddee scooters 2. Ktm 300XC, in the barn with the harleys. And yep, I have acouple of Brownings that I am thinking of kicking to the curb. A BAR in 300win, and a BLR in 308. Never use them, thought that I would love them, just taking up space.

That's what I'm riding these days as well. Nothing better than a 3 hunny! With a FMF Gnarly, magic button, and a Rekluse it's like bringing an A10 warthog to a knife fight... This was a couple weeks ago with the slickest xr100 ever I just found for my 9 year old boy.
69F7C3B3-808B-419C-B9A8-73284382737A_zpskttbmcwq.jpg

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI plan too!
thumbup1.gif

We good now??

Weren't ever bad bud, I'm sorry I offended you. Just not a fan of the tacticool crowd and they seem to have made the RPR their current mascot...

Didn't really offend, just ruffled the feathers a little. For the record, I like dirt bike just fine. I raced Hare and Hound for years till the knees gave out. Nice bikes Dustin! The little Honda is a great find. And....I ain't real fond of the tacticool crowd either.We have a bunch of wanna be's in and out of the store all the time. I'd like to slap them!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogDidn't really offend, just ruffled the feathers a little. For the record, I like dirt bike just fine. I raced Hare and Hound for years till the knees gave out. Nice bikes Dustin! The little Honda is a great find. And....I ain't real fond of the tacticool crowd either.We have a bunch of wanna be's in and out of the store all the time. I'd like to slap them!

Lighten up a bit, both here and in the store. They probably aren't impressed by you either, but why fret the small stuff?

Sometimes you cant help but know the answer...I wanted a decent "truck gun", which I define as a rifle that shoots reasonably good {one inch groups or less} but that you don't really care if it gets scratched. We own/live on a horse farm and I need a rifle I can bring along in the gator while out riding around that will let me dispose of woodchucks or various other vermin.
I decided to try a Ruger American stainless full size in 223. There was a lot of claims on the web about how accurate the Ruger American was, so I figured I would give one a try {$400.00 plus or minus by the time I got it home.}
2 to 3 inch groups was just not going to get it. First thing it needed was a new Timney trigger at $140.00...then a Boyd's stock at $200.00. Lucky me I can glass bed it myself. It still didn't shoot, so an X-Caliber barrel was in order...another $230.00, again lucky me, I have a lathe.
Make the right choice???? This ones a no-brainer!!! Do the math, I could be scratching up and shooting woodchucks with a much nicer rifle and had a lot more time to do it.

My RAP Creedmore shoots pretty good for a cheap rifle. Better than alot of more expensive ones. I got the trigger down to about 1 1/2 pounds but that stock has got to go. The RPR is a different story. Although its heavy and as some say, "tactikool", its a tack driver. Other than a few plastic parts, it is a solid rifle and shoots extremely well. Its just a dedicated rifle meant for PRS and FTR shooting. It will probably NEVER be carried into the wood unless there is a road close enough to drive there with a really short walk to a ground blind. I have to many other rifles meant for walking and carrying.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksE start and a Rekluse. You spoilin yourself or what?

I guess that one went right on passed me??

MPFD, that ktm that he is running is a two stroke with electric start and a custom clutch. A Rekluse clutch is a centrifugal style. No hand clutch, expensive and very beneficial. You would have loved one in a hare scramble.

I'm a big Ruger fan, and I've been disappointed the American doesn't turn me on in any way. When the RPR came out, I really though it was my chance to jump into an American action of my own, just to say I own one. I've worked on a bunch of Americans, usually restocking, or fixing the existing stock or fixing the push feed to allow them to actually drop one in the chamber, none turn me on. The RPR has a certain sex appeal, but at the end of the day, it's really nothing special, and it's really trying hard to look like and act like something it's not. Is it a barret or an AR? Or just a cheap Ruger American rifle wrapped in a fancy chassis which kinda looks like a barret and takes AR parts.

If they build one in long action with a magnum bolt face - i.e. in 300wm - then I'll buy one, just to say I have one. I'm confident it'll be $1500 spent on a rifle which is inferior to my already owned long range rifles, but I'll get to say I have an RPR in my Ruger collection.

The good news for you is firearm purchases aren't permanent, and the market is still hot for the RPR. If you lose a little resale value along the way, I'm confident you'll survive and can chalk that up to entertainment value plus learning experience.

I will say this, as tongue and cheek as it is - the PRECISION part of the Ruger Precision Rifle is how precisely Ruger hit the market it was going after. The RPR has been a remarkable success, at exactly the right time to reach a market of long range tacticool plinkers. Following on the heels of an era of new shooters getting into AR-15's, becoming disenchanted by the limitations of the 223/5.56, then looking for something with more range - BUT NOT AN AR-10 because real snipers don't shoot AR-10's (but really because they're heavy and awkward and semiauto fire out of a 308win is painful and expensive)... AND it needs to be at a relatively reasonable price point... So what's the answer? Enter Ruger's RPR... Tacticool, long range, relatively cheap to shoot, cheap for Ruger to produce and sell since it's their cheap American action wrapped in a relatively cheap chassis and outfitted with AR parts... AND it even comes with a 6.5 Creedmoor option to gain access to the hottest new whizbang cartridge running across the tacticool plinking crowd... There's no better play than Ruger could have made.

Last edited:
That's the most dead on post I've read. If they made a 300wm or should we even hope .338 L... I'd worship too...

I wanna copy that whole post and make it a post on Facebook... Lol perfectly said!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sandy hicksE start and a Rekluse. You spoilin yourself or what?

We (riding buddies and I) go to Colorado at least once a year and the rekluse was a happy birthday to me present. I just got the magic button off a buddy demoding his after he bought a '17, I couldn't pass it up for $200 installed. I used to race the Forward Motion hair scramble series as well, and it's basically cheating. My new job has been in the way this last year. But I miss the 250f in my avatar, I had some awesome rides on that scoot..

Back