Speer Grand Slam bullets

That's all I shoot out of my 300Win Mag. I shoot the 165 and never had one fail to give an exit wound.

I can't speak for the new ones, but the older ones that had an antimonial lead core were superb. I did have one fail to hold up: a 150-grain .277" GS out of my .270 on a 5X5 elk, but the bull was dead after about 100 yards. I just like for them to come out, and this one didn't.

Did they change something about the Grand Slam bullet??? Old and new??? They were always accurate when I used them. My only complaint is that they are sometimes a little hard to find. If you have a hunting trip coming up and plan to use Grand Slam bullets you might want to get them as soon as you can.
I will say one thing for them, unlike Nosler Partitions, they do group well in every gun and caliber I have tried. I am unable to get partitions to group good in any rifle I have.

Loaded up 5 rounds and went to the range yesterday and they printed an 1 1/2 group with RL-19. With a little tweaking they should shoot better than that. I wanna try em with some H4831SC too.

Originally Posted By: msincDid they change something about the Grand Slam bullet??? Old and new??? They were always accurate when I used them. My only complaint is that they are sometimes a little hard to find. If you have a hunting trip coming up and plan to use Grand Slam bullets you might want to get them as soon as you can.
I will say one thing for them, unlike Nosler Partitions, they do group well in every gun and caliber I have tried. I am unable to get partitions to group good in any rifle I have.

From what I understand, they have gone to the cup and core technology with the GS and eliminated the double-poured bullet that had a hardened lead alloy core and a soft lead nose. Speer apparently has made improvements in their gilding metal. The story I read is that these new ones penetrate further than the older ones (which I find very hard to believe).

But they were incredibly accurate in anything I tried them in.

Supposedly there was inconsistency in the double pour process and the new bullet eliminates that.

I tried the .264 140's in a 260 back in '02. Double-lunged a TX doe at about 120 yards. Saw her run off after the shot into the mesquite and kept going. Walked to where I shot her, found some hair and a little bit of blood. Tracked her for about 300 yards, very little blood, finally found her laying dead. Was not very much internal damage at all. To my eyes, it looked like the bullet didnt expand very much, if at all. Maybe the velocity wasnt fast enough for it to open up, dont know.

Before that and since, all I have ever used in that gun is the Speer 120 Hot Cor, and it really does some damage. I just wanted to try the GS's for some odd reason.

I didnt have a chrono back then, but the 120's chrono right where the Speer manual says they should.

Originally Posted By: hawk driverI tried the .264 140's in a 260 back in '02. Double-lunged a TX doe at about 120 yards. Saw her run off after the shot into the mesquite and kept going. Walked to where I shot her, found some hair and a little bit of blood. Tracked her for about 300 yards, very little blood, finally found her laying dead. Was not very much internal damage at all. To my eyes, it looked like the bullet didnt expand very much, if at all. Maybe the velocity wasnt fast enough for it to open up, dont know.

Before that and since, all I have ever used in that gun is the Speer 120 Hot Cor, and it really does some damage. I just wanted to try the GS's for some odd reason.

I didnt have a chrono back then, but the 120's chrono right where the Speer manual says they should.

That is odd... I shot a TX hill country doe at 200 steps about 20 years ago. Typical double lung shot: 60 yards and piled up. I took a good look at the entrance wound in the right front shoulder: expanded, it opened to a full inch through the meat of the shoulder, and the hole through the rib looked like you cut it with a hole saw. Absolutely perfect.

I still like that projectile a lot, although cancer has taken me out of the field...

Speer markets bullets defined as hunting,plinking,varminting and self(home)-defense. This is simplified for consumer,but not necessarily the best for actually defining performance in all situations. Grand slams are hunting bullets,just not designed for small light skinned game.

Last edited:
Tecumseh, you don't state which rifle you own, but that cartridge should do much better than that... I have a friend in Wisconsin with a Tikka 300 WSM. Several years ago I loaded him seven boxes using WW brass, Fed 215 primers, and a powder charge of DP 85 (from Accurate; supposed to be the same burn rate as their Western Powder Hunter). I used 165 GS projectiles and one grain lower than their Hunter max charge, and his first attempt with that load was three shots into half MOA at 100. I was pretty tickled considering it was all guess work and the rifle was 1350 miles away.

I would keep working at it. I have no idea what your powder charge is, but you might try a magnum LR primer if you are over 60 grains, and I have to believe you are.

Good luck; keep plugging away.

Doubless said:
Tecumseh, you don't state which rifle you own, but that cartridge should do much better than that... I have a friend in Wisconsin with a Tikka 300 WSM. Several years ago I loaded him seven boxes using WW brass, Fed 215 primers, and a powder charge of DP 85 (from Accurate; supposed to be the same burn rate as their Western Powder Hunter). I used 165 GS projectiles and one grain lower than their Hunter max charge, and his first attempt with that load was three shots into half MOA at 100. I was pretty tickled considering it was all guess work and the rifle was 1350 miles away.

I would keep working at it. I have no idea what your powder charge is, but you might try a magnum LR primer if you are over 60 grains, and I have to believe you are.

I'm shooting a Weatherby Vanguard with a Timney trigger. That load was using 67 gr of RL-19 with a Federal large rifle prime and Norma brass. It printed a 2 inch group with 66.5 gr of RL-19, it's just a matter of dialing in the powder charge and I'll have it shooting sub moa with a couple more range sessions.

Back