Ruger AR 556

jpx2rk

Anyone have any 1st hand experience with this one?? All the reviews and net talk say its a good beginner AR, and looking for something that won't break the bank and is reliable. I'm not a big fan of 'em but with the social environment as it is, it doesn't hurt to keep up with current options. The possiblity of it being used for yotes and ghogs in it's original configuration is something to consider, and I've read some of the threads here that say I should have 2 different guns for the different tasks, but I'm not sold on AR's yet so I don't see 2 AR's in my future when I don't even have one yet. LOL.

I own one, and it has been a awesome rifle! Close to 1500 rounds through it and ive yet to have a FTF or FTE. I use handloads primarily, and I notice the gun isn't very picky about bullets or weights. Shoots everything well. I used it for a season with just the PEPR mount and a Redfield revolution TAC and shot many-a-critter with great results. I use the sierra 69gr TMk now over a stout charge of AR-COMP for a modest 2700fps (incredible terminal ballistics out of these little things!). Also added a geissele SSA-E trigger, Midwest industries 15" handguard, TLR game spotter mounted up front Harris 6-9 , Magpul (ACS?) stock and a vortex flash hider. Makes a fun and varmint and night gun. Love my AR556!

Its a good basic entry-level rifle. It doesn't have a free float handguard or a good trigger in it, but neither will any other rifle at that pricepoint.

I've read where the trigger is heavy/rough, etc., but there some somewhat inexpensive fixes for the trigger. Inexpensive is open for interpretation LOL. I've not handled but one AR style rifle and shot that one just 3 rounds, so I have limited experience or knowledge about this style gun.

Back