Maryland rushes to regulate hunting with new-fangled "Airbow"

azmastablasta

If you haven't seen this beast....is this an unfair advantage?

Maryland rushes to regulate hunting with new-fangled "Airbow"

Associated Press Jul 19, 2016 0

WYE MILLS — The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is rushing to regulate a new kind of hunting weapon that's a cross between a high-powered air rifle and a crossbow.

The device is marketed by the Crosman Corp. as an "Airbow." The company's website says it uses compressed air to fire full-sized arrows with more speed and accuracy than a crossbow.

The Maryland agency said in a statement Monday it's proposing to regulate the devices as air guns, which are currently allowed for hunting certain bird species.

The agency is proposing to expand its definition of air guns to include those that fire arrows. The weapons would be permitted for hunting deer during the muzzleloader and conventional firearm seasons. They would also be legal during black bear season.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/public/...cb16c4f9b8.html

I believe the airbow has an unfair advantage in an "archery only" season and should be prohibited for that.

I think their effectiveness for taking wildlife is more in parody with a muzzleloading rifle and I agree with allowing them during a muzzleloader season and a general centerfire gun season.

It's also possible to shoot an arrow with a 410 shotgun. It is done by removing the shot in the shotshell, chambering the blank round, sliding an arrow down the barrel, and positioning the arrow on top of the shotshell wad.

If airbows are allowed for hunting, then shooting arrows with a shotgun should also be legal. Even if those methods were allowed for hunting, I just don't foresee them becoming popular.

I'm not only a marylander but I lso know personally the minds behind this restriction and I do not oppose it one bit

Archery purists say compound bows are unfair, purists and compound hunters say the same about crossbows, crossbow hunters look down onrigs that mount to an ar lower... I think all of them would say no to using a shot shell.

Imo anything that lowers the odds of a wounded animal is a good thing.

thumbup1.gif
Exactly, all the compound shooters are griping about the use of crossbows, but what they don't realize that the recurve/longbow shooter looked at them the same way when they legalized compounds and then mechanical releases.
I would believe the kill rate would go down considerably if archery hunters would only be able to use "stick bows", which most compound shooters have never even shot.
Pa started out with a late flintlock season, now we also have a early "muzzleloader" season. If they can get more money from selling additional special licenses we will probably have a air rifle or air bow season before long to pull in additional revenue!

A compound with sights is nothing to master in my opinion. Pull it back line up the sights and shoot. I was one of the people who wondered why crossbows were illegal for so long. Crossbows have been around for a lot longer than compounds.

I think that it is time to go back to primitive seasons for early season draws. Bill Jordan killed a bull elk at 70 yards on tv. Inline muzzle loaders are easily good to 200. Bow season shouls be stickbows,longbows and recurves without sights, muzzlw loaders should be flint ore percussion with open sights and black powder. Everything else shoul hunt the general seasson. I hunted successfully for years with a 44 with a scope and a 45 without during the general deer seasons. Hunt with what you want be no speacial treatment.

Technology applied to a projectile is just another type of firearm.

I agree with those who have the opinion that bows are for those who are up to the challenge. This air bow thing may just as well be a rifle in terms of skill needed.

A bow takes a considerable amount of practice working to where the bowman can hit inside of a small target zone 100% of the time. Added to that is the restraint needed to know when the angle is wrong or brush is likely to deflect an arrow. A friend of mine bow hunts and can hit a dixie cup reliably, he is in an archery club and does several tournaments that he wins his share of. He keeps trying to get me to bow hunt with him but I don't think I'm consistent enough. He says then use a muzzle loader but that seems like using a single shot rifle with the new technology.

Originally Posted By: reaper4I wouldn't want the compound bow season to be taken away as I see way more involved than lining up sights

Talk to any "old timer" on here that bow hunted before the compound bow was invented, and when mechanical releases were illegal to use.
Yes there's more involved, but how long can you hold a 50-60+ lb. stick bow at full draw, and how good are you at shooting with a tab or fingers. After that it's still basically the same as for consistent anchor point, and consistent draw length.
If you never shot a stick hunting bow, TRY IT, the compound is way easier to master from my experience with both. I retired my old stick bow when I bought my first compound, and it's going to stay retired!

Originally Posted By: azmastablastaNever heard of the .410 trick. I have a sweet little side by side that would double the fun. Is it necessary to remove the fletching?
It is not necessary to remove the fletching, but I do not recommend trying it. I found some You Tube videos showing people doing it, but the language was not appropriate to post a link.

Stick bows have a huge cool factor. Light weight and love the buzz that a broadhead makes going through th air. I bet most compound shooters have never heard it.
Whoever my son orered his bow from sent it set up and sighted in with his arrows. Regularly shoots his targets at 60 yards. Has already killed several rabbits, doves and squirrels.
I never bowhunt anymore as I dont have the time to hunt. When I do get to go I dont want to pass a shot. I do still bowfish with my recurve and fingers.

I shoot traditional archery and love it but for me there is a time and place for the compound and don't think there is a reason to take the compound out of early season. I would be happy about adding a few days to the beginning for traditional archery bit leave our compound season alone lol

Back