Ever wonder if you made the right choice??

pyscodog

As much as I like my new Ruger Precision, I have been wondering if I made the right choice after purchasing it. It shoots every bit as good as it reputation and has a super cool factor but I'm not sure it will get the use that it was intended for. I'm way to old and lazy for any run and gun competition and it will probably be a fine rifle for FTR matchs but only local as I have no plans on traveling. The last few days I have just been wondering if I made the right choice? Have you ever been in this spot? I hope I'm not alone!!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a 243 built, and after 2 years of gathering parts, and a lot of money later.Now I have a 15 lb rifle that I hate carrying around. It shoots better than any rifle I have ever owned, but I wish I would have built something lighter.

Yup been there many times and also sold the ones I wondered about after buying or building them then not using them as I originally thought I was going to & moved on.

Its a great rifle and a terrific shooter. I just wonder if I was swayed by the fact they are hard to get and I was there at the right time with the money? Sure seeded like a good idea at the time. LOL

Last edited:
I did the same thing when the new dpms g2 recon came out. Oooohhhh HAVEEEE TO HAVE ITTTT! I'm not even a big 308 fan! Lol. It was a great shooting rifle. And with 175s it was awesome. But I traded it out for a Sig scorpion and a gen4 g19. I've done it a few times. Get the itch, scratch it and then get sore. I go through 4-5 rifles a year because of my impulse buys or trades. Oh well. I guess you won't know till you lay hands on what your wanting...

I was interested in an RPR when I first saw them. But after joining RPR fanboy page on facebook I will never own one. They are the new tacticool, koolaid drinking, mall ninja rifle of choice. Completely lost interest when I saw what kind of crowd following they have. Kudos if you like them, but they are not for me... They don't even come in a decent caliber to long range hunt with... Give me a Remington 700 long range any day and I'll spend the $500 extra I saved on glass!

6.5 Creedmore, 308, 243 Winchester, and to think they don't come in a decent caliber to long range hunt with?
Tacticool, koolaid drinking, mall ninja, rifle of choice. You lost interest in them when you say the type of people using them on facebook. Seems to me you're more worried about the image you reflect than the quality of a rifle and its accuracy capabilities. But, thats why there are several brands and qualities of firearms. Really has no bearing on the original question asked but its the internet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog6.5 Creedmore, 308, 243 Winchester, and to think they don't come in a decent caliber to long range hunt with?
Tacticool, koolaid drinking, mall ninja, rifle of choice. You lost interest in them when you say the type of people using them on facebook. Seems to me you're more worried about the image you reflect than the quality of a rifle and its accuracy capabilities. But, thats why there are several brands and qualities of firearms. Really has no bearing on the original question asked but its the internet.

I'd have to say that seriously, this statement made by Psycodog is some of the most truth i've seen in awhile. I've owned my AR10 before any Sandyhook, Aurora Theater....(insert millions of terrible events) and I sort of feel like a tool having it, because now everyone hates the stigma behind them or is a d-bag owning and shooting and posting about them. Mine was bought for run and gun SD West River deer hunts and it is superb at that. But now I feel like a tool showing anyone my gun safe.......

Also, I blew a bunch of dough on a mini 14 thinking the newer ones were more accurate - and I didn't want another AR. should have bought a volquartsen .204 rather than put all the money I did into it to shoot decent and sending it off to Accuracy Systems for Bull Barrels and doo-dads! Oh well, thats life - I tend to not make the same mistakes twice
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAs much as I like my new Ruger Precision, I have been wondering if I made the right choice after purchasing it. It shoots every bit as good as it reputation and has a super cool factor but I'm not sure it will get the use that it was intended for. I'm way to old and lazy for any run and gun competition and it will probably be a fine rifle for FTR matchs but only local as I have no plans on traveling. The last few days I have just been wondering if I made the right choice? Have you ever been in this spot? I hope I'm not alone!!
Nope,your not alone pal. Remington 700/260 gone.Savage m12/260 gone.Savage m12/243 gone.Savage m11/22-250 gone.Dpms flattop/556/223 gone.I always (try) to get enough money to get something I believe at the time is better. With that said. Savage m12/308 new and is a 1/2 moa with minimum load work.Savage m12/bvss 22-250 another sub moa gun.Custom ar 15/6.8spcll.My wife says i`m obsessed . I never question her judgment . LOL.Hang in there,we`re here to help you through the tuff times man.Gary

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog6.5 Creedmore, 308, 243 Winchester, and to think they don't come in a decent caliber to long range hunt with?
Tacticool, koolaid drinking, mall ninja, rifle of choice. You lost interest in them when you say the type of people using them on facebook. Seems to me you're more worried about the image you reflect than the quality of a rifle and its accuracy capabilities. But, thats why there are several brands and qualities of firearms. Really has no bearing on the original question asked but its the internet. Yes, none of those are ideal to hunt with at the ranges guys are trying to shoot them at (1000+ yards). Yes, your right. I don't want to be lumped in with a bunch of idiots. Its an over priced rifle that really isn't that great of quality aimed at the tacticool crowd. Tell me you would want to carry that POS in the mountains all day looking for game. If they are so great out of the box why are people waiting in line to get aftermarket barrels for brand new rifles? The last thing you should need on a brand new $1k rifle is an after market barrel. You wrote this whole thread questioning your own choice on buying it.....
confused.gif
When you say it has "super cool factor" how is that any less of a decision made on image?

My purpose for buying was to shoot in factory F-class. Not to be a mall ninja or be tacti-cool or what ever else you feel in your weak mind that people do with them. I read your last four posts, two on this one and the others on different posts. Nothing to add, just stirring the pot. Don't you have anything better to do with your time? If all your doing is starting chit, do it somewhere other than here. Maybe go ride that kiddie scooter in your avatar.

Well that "kiddie scooter" sure does have plenty of "cool factor" Bahahaha!
I think it hit a little close to home and hurt your feelings. Sorry guy...

Guess if ya like Jap ringa ding ding's. Didn't hurt my feelings at all. I'm smarter than that. Don't always make the right choices but I get them worked out in time.

I bet you that there are more Jap parts on your RPR then there are on my KTM seeing as how its made in Austria... What is a Ring a ding ding, by the way?

OK, you win. I'll sell the POS as you call it, sell all my mall ninja cloths and quit drinking koolaid. I'll sell my Harley and buy a dirt bike so I can be just like you. Happy now?

Back