.300 Win Mag versus .300 Remington Ultra Mag

Originally Posted By: JJTAlwaysWishing
Basically I'd like people who have one or the other to explain the advantages for long range shooting, hunting, and accuracy of the caliber itself. I've heard brass life from .300 RUM is awful so let's hear about that also.
Jaycob.

Accuracy...Same, given they are both built correctly.
If you do everything with both of them to have the longest possible OAL, THE RUM is going to give you more downrange punch and is is going to drop slower and drift less than the WM.
In terms of hunting, you have to decide if your skill set allows you to fully take advantage of either one of these cartridges set up properly.
Use the best brass possible for each and treat it right, and you will have long life with both. I use RWS brass for my RUM with 230 Hybrids (single-shot=long throated).
Most of the time it will be the person handling the rifle that will determine it's effectiveness/accuracy/range in real world scenarios.
I will take an experienced shooter using the WM any day over a novice using a RUM
grin.gif

Ive shot both and own a 300 RUM that I had a KDF brake installed. It recoils like a .243 when shooting 125g ballistic tips. The downfall is you will blow your ear drums. The stock sporter barrel on my 700 heats up after about 6 shots hot enough to fry an egg on so its a round your not going to want go out and target shoot with. Recoil isn't bad with the brake removed untill you start shooting 200g loads. Now my 375 RUM still rocks you with the same brake.

Last edited:
Back