Grim reaper 2" 3 blade 100g broadhead deflection...pics of recovered 12pt

shooting a grim reaper out of a crossbow might of been the issue are they rated for that poundage i bet the blade was open before it even got to the deer might try the crossbow rage broadhead and see if it gives you any trouble im a believer in the grim reapers but i dont know about in a crossbow

I see grim reaper has a new crossbow expandable for 16' that says it stays closed for velocities up to 400 fps...must have finally figured out that they were opening at 300 fps like mine did. What makes no sense at all is why they wouldn't make it out of steel...like their new lethal steel...for slower with less KE bows and why would they not make it 2" blades I stead of 1.5"? I'm guessing they're not making the blades strong enough for the faster velocities and are probably breaking.

I shoot the Rage Chisel tips. No issues yet. I have watched most deer fall over since shooting this head. Average travel for deer is 30yds before tipping over.

I have seen countless expendable's hinge upon impact. Scary to say the least. I want my arrow to enter the body where I put the pin, and come out at same angle. I use wac'ems and slick tricks for years, and always been impressed with accuracy and penetration. With the big blades on the expandables now a days it doesn't take much for them to hinge when they hit. All it takes is a blade to not hit square and rotate the arrow. I have physically witnessed this. Got a wild hair years ago to try a rage my buddy gave me. Shot a doe at about a 60deg angle out of my stand. she was quartered away slightly with a hard downward angle. The arrow hit and hinged, and went through the deer perpendicular. I got lucky and still heart shot the deer. However it was enough to scare me from going back.

I know they work well for some people, but not me.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleI shoot the Rage Chisel tips. No issues yet. I have watched most deer fall over since shooting this head. Average travel for deer is 30yds before tipping over.

Check my posts on rage hypodermics....I had three in a row not open. Junk. I posted a photo of the heart with no expansion.

I also ordered a pack of NAP sling blades which are the exact same concept as the old Rocky Mountain gators...a broad head that has never failed to open for me on over a hundred plus deer I've harvested. I've been praying that someone would make a chisel tip version of this again for years!!! When they changed it to a cut on contact tipped blade it weakened the design(the current design of the bass pro gator 100). They kept bending and or breaking with no pass throughs. When Rocky Mountain changed the gators to the cut on contact version that kept failing I've been on a broad head hunt ever since with either the new broad head brands I've tried either failed to open or opened in flight causing deflection. If these work like the rear blade deploying old gators they will be 100 percent more reliable than any other expandable made. If I would have done more research and realized they made these I would have never ordered the carni four grim reapers, but since they are on their way I'll give them a try as well.

Last edited:
I've been involved in the archery world going on 15+ years now working at a few different shops. I've yet to find a single broadhead that someone somewhere doesn't have a horror story about. I've tried my share. Most heads these days are pretty good. If they kill, they did their job. Some do it better. Thinking of trying the GR Carni-four this year. It's a never ending search for the ultimate head that will never be found ....

Great looking buck. The best part of this story is your tracking job and recovery. Congrats! It makes me sad to hear some of the horror stories that I've heard over the years where it was painfully obvious that the guy didn't even hardly look or gave up way too easy. It really makes me sick when I hear comments like "oh well....it was only a doe" or "the shot wasn't the best but it was too good a deer not to try" or "oh well....I guess the coyotes have to eat too". Great job in tracking and recovering that deer! Fixed blade....mechanical...Rage.....Shwacker....Grim Reaper.....Thunderhead.....it doesn't matter. Cleanly taking an animal with archery equipment is a delicate task. Sometimes everything goes right and on occasion, it seems nothing does.

Back