Should AR bolt move

dan158

If gas is turned off or tube completely removed should the bolt move back at all?? If shouldn't what would be the cause? Thanks.. Dan

Originally Posted By: dan158If gas is turned off or tube completely removed should the bolt move back at all?? If shouldn't what would be the cause? Thanks.. Dan

If it moves at all the gas isn't turned off completely. It cannot move without gas..PERIOD!!

Greg

you can get it to move with inertia. if the rifle is moving rearward and suddenly stops the carrier will come back.

Originally Posted By: 6724you can get it to move with inertia. if the rifle is moving rearward and suddenly stops the carrier will come back.

Not a chance

Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: 6724you can get it to move with inertia. if the rifle is moving rearward and suddenly stops the carrier will come back.

Not a chance

This definitely can happen. I've seen it a lot in the military. Takes a hard jolt but it is not uncommon.

collapse your stock, and with the bolt closed, bring the stock down onto a hard object.

the bolt WILL move with just an inertia stoppage.

it wont move much, but it WILL move.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: dan158If gas is turned off or tube completely removed should the bolt move back at all?? If shouldn't what would be the cause? Thanks.. Dan

If it moves at all the gas isn't turned off completely. It cannot move without gas..PERIOD!!

Greg

geeze. mine will move just by pulling the charging handle. must be broke.
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: dan158I was talking about fired with gas off or no tube.. Just curious was all...

Yeah Dan you were pretty clear on that. It was a good question. I've toyed with building a straight pull LR AR for a bit. Doing a home build side charger would be a piece of cake.

I have a 5.7 Johnson barrel for an M1 Carbine that I am going to do that on.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: dan158I was talking about fired with gas off or no tube.. Just curious was all...

Yeah Dan you were pretty clear on that. It was a good question. I've toyed with building a straight pull LR AR for a bit. Doing a home build side charger would be a piece of cake.

I have a 5.7 Johnson barrel for an M1 Carbine that I am going to do that on.

Greg

Yes a straight pull would be a nice to build.. Here in PA no semi rifles of any sort are allowed for hunting in PA.. Shotguns, yes.. Rifles ,no.. But on a side note, they allow rifling shotgun ..

It might move until the lugs on the bolt hit the lugs on the barrel wich might be about as close to zero as you can get, if there is nothing to turn [unlock] the bolt how is it going to come back?
Answer -it cant.

inertia of the bolt carrier can and will unlock the bolt. not during firing, but during handling.

one time many years ago i came up to a coyote that i had shot, i did not want to put another hole in the hide so i thought i would use the butt stock the the head. not only did the bolt unlock, but it ejected the round and loaded another. didn't faze the coyote.

inertia of the bolt carrier can and will unlock the bolt. not during firing, but during handling.

one time many years ago i came up to a coyote that i had shot, i did not want to put another hole in the hide so i thought i would use the butt stock the the head. not only did the bolt unlock, but it ejected the round and loaded another. didn't faze the coyote.

To echo what 6724 said, I've sen the same thing happen. Not with a coyote but with doors in Iraq. I watched some engineer attached to us try to smash a door open, ejected 5 or 6 rounds before he realized what he was doing. Also when doing drill movements you can pop the buttstock against the ground and get the bolt to bounce (adds some sound effect to the "snap and pop" element).

Back