Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#3245213 - 05/25/20 05:06 PM Re: Understanding Pressure [Re: orkan]
Whisky Tahoe Offline

Loc: Portland & Tucson
Here are a couple of things to consider regarding pressure in addition to the excellent article from Primal Rights.

1) Case expansion. By measuring your cases above the web, you can track expansion as a result of pressure. Case expansion can be normal especially in short cases like the 6BR where the die isn't sizing the entire length of a case. Over time this leads to "clicky" bolt. A sign that the case is hard to pull out by the extractor. Rifles are all different so signs like ejector wipe may not appear as serious from rifle to rifle. Measuring case expansion can give you an objective way to detect pressure. Small body dies can be used to size the brass prior to full length resizing if you have "expanded" a few cases with a high pressure load. Case heads with wipe signs don't clean up as easy and hang around potentially leading people to believe they still have high pressure.

2) Pierced primers. Primers can be pierced by over pressure loads certainly but can also be pierced by bolts with large firing pin holes and small firing pins. Savage bolts are often built with small diameter pins and large holes. If your cartridge has small primers this can easily occur. Best remedy is to have the bolt "bushed" where the firing pin hole is reduced. I had this problem with a new to me used rifle that was piercing low pressure loads. I even tested some factory ammo to be add another data point. Sent the bolt to a pro to get bushed, problem solved.

"The more you know"...

#3245339 - 05/26/20 09:41 PM Re: Understanding Pressure [Re: orkan]
Jason50cal Offline

Loc: Ohio
Great article. Thank you

#3265797 - 01/12/21 03:12 PM Re: Understanding Pressure [Re: orkan]
crschum Offline

Loc: Indiana
Wish I would have had this around when I started reloading when I was in college. Would have made me a little less skiddish with loading to the point I could really utilize the brass through its entire life. Great article!

#3279844 - 07/31/21 05:22 PM Re: Understanding Pressure [Re: orkan]
ILPredHunter12 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Missouri
late to the party here, but great read! thank you!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.