30 Coyotes on 3 stands.....Flustered!

OK, try to make this short. Recently acquired a new ranch to hunt. Its 12,000 acres in PRIME coyote country. LOTS of coyotes....I had high hopes.....Fri night went out to the ranch for the first time. Had my wicked light, foxpro and my Tikka so I was set to roll. I expected to take at least 5 coyotes for the night.....

First stand, I let out a lone howl and had approx 10-15 coyotes in various locations all around me answer back. It sounded like a choir. As they sang, I smiled with glee!!!! It was going to be good.....Well, long story short, I called in 1 pup to 300 yards, but he wouldn't come closer. I also had 2 adult dogs come to 400 yards and bug out for some reason. They hung around for a while but just set out there and wouldn't commit. Sat on that stand for an hour, as I had coyotes continually howling around me, thinking something would surely pop in for a visit. NOPE! Nothing else! Im in awe.....

I go to second stand, and literally the same thing. I howl and 10-15 coyotes from various locations all around howl back. THE PLACE IS LOADED WITH COYOTES. However, not 1 coyote came in, and some were prob within 500 yards when they howled back, but nothing......Im somewhere close to 30 coyotes on 2 stands and nothing come in....im so flustered and confused.....

3d stand was a blank until the end, when I was about to walk out, I ended with a coyote yipping pair, and suddenly realized I had a pair within 400 yards as they yipped back at me, but again, THEY WOULD NOT COME IN CLOSER...

As I sit on my third stand of the night, its nearly 4 am, after that many coyotes responded to my howling but nothing would come in, I was flustered, tired and done for the night......

I left there very flustered. I dont claim to be Randy Anderson by any means, but I can call coyotes, and can even call educated, tough coyotes, but they kicked my butt that night and Im still confused as to why. Esp on a virgin ranch with NOBODY calling coyotes out there. The rancher lets no one else on that ranch to hunt except me and my partner. I guess it was just one of those nights, I dunno.........still scratching my head.

I'm having the same problem, I've been trying different calls and they answer back but won't come closer. Yet if I use a distressed rabbit mouth call they come in at full tilt. This electronic call is getting me nothing but 10 or 15 coyotes calling but not coming in.

It's frustrating for sure.

Originally Posted By: woodguruI'm having the same problem, I've been trying different calls and they answer back but won't come closer. Yet if I use a distressed rabbit mouth call they come in at full tilt. This electronic call is getting me nothing but 10 or 15 coyotes calling but not coming in.

It's frustrating for sure.

This time of year, I use primiarily vocals of all kinds. Breeding sounds early in year, to Interrogation howls and pup distress later in summer. It works well for me. I have A LOT of different pup sounds, pup distress sounds from various different call makers. (Fox pro, Tony Tebbe etc) so I have a lot to choose from and typically I find something that rings a bell.....but that night, on a brand new ranch with lots of coyotes it produced nothing.......Typically, for me, when they are that vocal I normally do well in calling them in to gun range, but not that night...I dunno brother. Crazy things happen sometimes.

I know either Friday, Saturday or Sunday was a full moon. That was probably the problem. I went out yesterday and only saw 3 throughout the morning. I looked up in the sky and there was that GIANT moon still up in the sky. I never call at night during a full moon. I even try to plan my trips when there is no moon or just a small crescent.

I know why they didn't come in! Because the yotes in commiecali are liberal dems! They won't commit to anything!!!! The ones that do, are just committing suicide.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller
Well, long story short, I called in 1 pup to 300 yards, but he wouldn't come closer. I also had 2 adult dogs come to 400 yards and bug out for some reason.

if you are good enough to tell it is a coyote pup at 300 yards and adult coyotes at 400 yards at night, in the dark, you surely are good enough to figure out how to kill them.

do not think i could tell the difference between a pup and adult at those distances in the daylight. you are gooder than me.
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller
Well, long story short, I called in 1 pup to 300 yards, but he wouldn't come closer. I also had 2 adult dogs come to 400 yards and bug out for some reason.

if you are good enough to tell it is a coyote pup at 300 yards and adult coyotes at 400 yards at night, in the dark, you surely are good enough to figure out how to kill them.

do not think i could tell the difference between a pup and adult at those distances in the daylight. you are gooder than me.
tongue_smilie.gif
"oh no" Slick, he's the "master coyote killer"...he's been calling forever. Bet he was calling from a chariot back in the day?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller

tongue_smilie.gif

I ceratainly didnt ask him his age, but if you have a light on a coyote, and are looking at him through a 20 power scope and cant see that he is a pup, you may need glasses or a new scope.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller

tongue_smilie.gif
"oh no" Slick, he's the "master coyote killer"...he's been calling forever. Bet he was calling from a chariot back in the day?

Rick, I still dont understand why you suddenly decided to be an idiot. You seemed like a pretty cool guy, a lil weird, but pretty cool....til one day you woke up with your panties in a knot for no given reason, now you just follow me around on PM, and comment sarcastic crap on my post.....I just dont get it dude....I never said I was a master caller, but thanks for the compliment..get a life man. Go hunting or something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: old catdid you have a light on?

Yes, of course. maybe they don't like the light.

Originally Posted By: old catOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: old catdid you have a light on?

Yes, of course. maybe they don't like the light.

Ive killed a lot of coyotes with a light. These particular coyotes on this particular ranch have never seen a light with a hunter attached to it that i know of. Nobody calls the ranch.....Maybe these coyotes were just light shy. I dunno. I dont claim to have any answers. When you are talking about coyotes, a lot is just speculation anyway. lol

Originally Posted By: SeebassI know either Friday, Saturday or Sunday was a full moon. That was probably the problem. I went out yesterday and only saw 3 throughout the morning. I looked up in the sky and there was that GIANT moon still up in the sky. I never call at night during a full moon. I even try to plan my trips when there is no moon or just a small crescent.

Yes, if I recall, the moon was either full, or nearly full...it was bright out there...the moon could have played something in it.

Years ago when hunting in Mexico, we noticed that on full moons, coyotes often did not like to run. I would get frustrated and blow a howler, I would have many, many coyotes howling near and far. We found that that coyotes love to run in the middle of the day on full moons. You could have some luck with pups, but got more foxes and cats on full moons.

We scheduled our hunts NOT to go to Mexico on full moon, after the moon came up, might as well sleep. The exception was a low pressure front or stormy weather.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanYears ago when hunting in Mexico, we noticed that on full moons, coyotes often did not like to run. I would get frustrated and blow a howler, I would have many, many coyotes howling near and far. We found that that coyotes love to run in the middle of the day on full moons. You could have some luck with pups, but got more foxes and cats on full moons.

We scheduled our hunts NOT to go to Mexico on full moon, after the moon came up, might as well sleep. The exception was a low pressure front or stormy weather.

Honestly, Ive never recorded much data on my hunts. ie barrometric pressure, moon phase, etc, but I will say, looking back at different times during full moon nights, I can remember more often than not, the hunt not being so successful. That night was either full moon, or very close to full, so that might have been the problem. Ill be going back out there in a few weeks to try it again and Ill make sure its a DARK night, and we will see if it changes things up a bit. I do know one thing, it seemed like every coyote within ear shot was VERY VOCAL. There were a lot of coyotes responding vocally...very interesting that you had the same results on full moon nights in Mexico. Overall, how was the calling in Mexico?

Last edited:
Last item! You are a straight out deceiving liar! This is social media! SON, you have a lot to learn. But I do love all the posts stating "well, I said, to myself, "self"!!! I think I will try this"...I call BS!....and you know it! Lots of good luck, as you put it "BRO"....I'm really honestly lol.

Not a hard problem to solve. Go back during daylight, get close and play nothing except for magpies and ravens. Make it sound like a scavenger bird feeding frenzy. Don't howl, don't blow distress, just the birds. Plan to sit for 25 minutes. They'll come! It's a guarantee...
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvLast item! You are a straight out deceiving liar! This is social media! SON, you have a lot to learn. But I do love all the posts stating "well, I said, to myself, "self"!!! I think I will try this"...I call BS!....and you know it! Lots of good luck, as you put it "BRO"....I'm really honestly lol.

Rick, you make no sense at all. I've never even met you, so for you to call me a "liar" is pretty far out, considering you wouldn't know what I looked like if I was standing on your front porch. Id like to know what you're calling BS on, but I am not going to continue a convo with someone I dont know, about statements from you that make zero sense. You sound like a schizo. You literally follow my post on PM, and post crap and harass for no reason. Get a life, and stay off my post cause you sound stupid. Im done responding to you, now go take your meds.

We both know the truth! BTW: you posted a pic of some hogs "son"! You pulled the dep permit response when some other member called you "out". Dep permits are "public info" in Cali. You were not on that list. So: you either poached them or hopped on a truck, took a pic and claimed them to be "your" kills. That's the worse!!!! Claiming someone else's kills!!! At least in my book! I'm done with you!! You should run away with your arms in the air screaming!....what a joke! Be done "son"!

Back