Ar15 Smith Wesson 22lr

twhitey

Looking for advice on a Ar15 22lr
My state does not allow any bigger than a 22lr at night. Currently I hunt with a Benelli SBE11 topped with a Nv compatible Aimpoint. I have a Pvs14 mounted on a crye precision night cap. I hunt fields at night and we do well for our area. My set up works but there are times I wish I could ethically shoot out to 60 yds so my question is has anyone been using an Ar15 in 22lr? I don't want to be looking all night for a wounded animal. I know shot placement is everything with that being said sometimes at night you may not be presented with the perfect shot.

I am debating on getting a 22lr Ar and topping it off with the gun/helmet mounted Ir patrol thermal. I am thinking of having the scatter gun as primary gun in hand and laying the 22lr next to me while having my pvs14 for scanning then figure distance and making a quick decision on weapon to use. I also could helmet mount the thermal and scan with that on smaller fields that I know I won't need the scatter gun. So my big question is will I be under gunned and having cripples run off leaking and will live another day. I practice at our range and shoot often as to know my max abilities. During the day I use a 6.8 spc and they are drt. I will be hunting Coyote,Fox
Thanks for any and all recommendations

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roky0702Why not get a .17 WSM or even .17 HMR for more energy?

Our laws don't allow anything bigger than a 22lr. Chamber may not exceed 22lr at night.

I bought one of those M&P 15-22lr rifles a few months ago. Seems to be a decent little gun and has reliably run everything I've put through it so far and shoots decent enough. Magazines are cheap if you buy them from gunmagwarehouse.com. The trigger was a little rough so I installed CMC 3-3.5lb drop in trigger.

As for hunting coyotes with it, I'd say it'll do as well as a 22lr is capable of doing. Obviously, shot placement will be very important and it'll certainly give you quick follow up shots. I'd think CCI Velocitor or maybe CCI Stingers would probably be one of the better ammo choices.

I've never hunted yotes with a shotgun so I'm not sure what range you have to get them into to use a shotgun but I would definitely think if you can get yotes into shotgun range that would be a better choice than a AR style 22lr.

But if you're looking for a fun little AR style 22lr, the M&P 15-22 is a lot of fun for not a lot of money.

Originally Posted By: B23I bought one of those M&P 15-22lr rifles a few months ago. Seems to be a decent little gun and has reliably run everything I've put through it so far and shoots decent enough. Magazines are cheap if you buy them from gunmagwarehouse.com. The trigger was a little rough so I installed CMC 3-3.5lb drop in trigger.

As for hunting coyotes with it, I'd say it'll do as well as a 22lr is capable of doing. Obviously, shot placement will be very important and it'll certainly give you quick follow up shots. I'd think CCI Velocitor or maybe CCI Stingers would probably be one of the better ammo choices.

I've never hunted yotes with a shotgun so I'm not sure what range you have to get them into to use a shotgun but I would definitely think if you can get yotes into shotgun range that would be a better choice than a AR style 22lr.

But if you're looking for a fun little AR style 22lr, the M&P 15-22 is a lot of fun for not a lot of money.

We get them into 20-50 yds and sometimes we get them to hang up 50-70 yds. I am thinking Ar style 22lr so I have the option of mounting a thermal as well as having quick follow up shots when they get into hyper gear.

I've had an S&W 15-22 for a couple years, the orange camo version, got it for my son when he gets big enough. Got a purple version for my niece, but I couldn't stop myself from shooting it, so I had to get her another one.

For a 22LR, compared to a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 60, AR style 22's are bulky, just like a real AR compared to a bolt gun, but pending that downside, they're a lot of fun.

Originally Posted By: twhiteyOriginally Posted By: roky0702Why not get a .17 WSM or even .17 HMR for more energy?

Our laws don't allow anything bigger than a 22lr. Chamber may not exceed 22lr at night.

.17 rimfire are smaller than .22

Originally Posted By: vahunterOriginally Posted By: twhiteyOriginally Posted By: roky0702Why not get a .17 WSM or even .17 HMR for more energy?

I've heard of "rimfire only" areas but I wasn't aware there were states that had, 22 Long Rifle Only, areas. Sheesh, what's next, slingshots only?!

Originally Posted By: vahunterOriginally Posted By: twhiteyOriginally Posted By: roky0702Why not get a .17 WSM or even .17 HMR for more energy?

You are correct that 17 is smaller than 22 only in the caliber size with that being said my state laws say the chamber cannot be larger than 22lr so that puts 17 wsm,17hmr off the list.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: vahunterOriginally Posted By: twhiteyOriginally Posted By: roky0702Why not get a .17 WSM or even .17 HMR for more energy?

I've heard of "rimfire only" areas but I wasn't aware there were states that had, 22 Long Rifle Only, areas. Sheesh, what's next, slingshots only?!

It could be worse I guess at least we can night hunt with either a scatter gun or 22lr. During the day we can use any caliber. In my area night hunts are a much higher %

Originally Posted By: twhiteyOriginally Posted By: vahunterOriginally Posted By: twhiteyOriginally Posted By: roky0702Why not get a .17 WSM or even .17 HMR for more energy?

You are correct that 17 is smaller than 22 only in the caliber size with that being said my state laws say the chamber cannot be larger than 22lr so that puts 17 wsm,17hmr off the list.

Just curious here, but if that is how your law/game law reads, going off of that verbiage, I don't see why you couldn't use one of the 17's or even 22 Mag because none of the three is "larger" they are only more powerful.

Do you by chance know the exact wording used in this rule/law???

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: twhiteyOriginally Posted By: vahunterOriginally Posted By: twhiteyOriginally Posted By: roky0702Why not get a .17 WSM or even .17 HMR for more energy?

I do my law states clearly" May not chamber larger than 22lr"
A 22 mag has a larger chamber than a 22lr and a 17 Hmr as well it's a necked down 22 mag.
Trust me I would be using a 17wsm if I could legally.

Just curious here, but if that is how your law/game law reads, going off of that verbiage, I don't see why you couldn't use one of the 17's or even 22 Mag because none of the three is "larger" they are only more powerful.

Do you by chance know the exact wording used in this rule/law???

Have you considered just buying a 22LR upper for an AR-15 lower? I've seen some deceit ones around, tactical solutions and I think spikes still makes one. I don't know about S&W's, their QC scares me but if it runs and shoots what the heck.

Putting the 22LR VS 17 and whats legal debate to rest, I contacted the state personally. This was their response:

The answer to your question is no, the .17 win super mag is NOT legal to hunt coyotes with at night. The reason being is this round is chambered larger than a .22 LR, in other words, it holds more powder.

The only legal options for night hunting of coyotes are:
.22 LR
.17 Hornaday Mach II

Examples of ammo that CANNOT be used for night hunting of coyotes include:
5mm Remington
.22 Magnum
.17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire (.17 HMR)
.17 Win Super Mag
.17 Remington centerfire

Larue
I have a nice 6.8 Ar and would like to buy a 22lr complete upper.
I got you on all the laws. I don't mess with the Epo's I carry to much equipment to risk loosing. I will look into getting a quality upper
Thanks

Originally Posted By: twhiteyLarue
I got you on all the laws. I don't mess with the Epo's I carry to much equipment to risk loosing. I will look into getting a quality upper
Thanks

That 6.8 is a beauty, I referenced it a few times recently looking at your parts list for a 308 I was working on. Nice job on that!

The laws suck! We make it work though!

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: twhiteyLarue
Thanks

That 6.8 is a beauty, I referenced it a few times recently looking at your parts list for a 308 I was working on. Nice job on that!

The laws suck! We make it work though!

We do make it work we still get them into 15-20 yds nothing better than a heavy shot facial. Yea check out Breaststroker on the 6.8 forum for your 308 build he has some great ideas. Your gonna pay for the lightness but at the end it will be well worth it. My 6.8 feels like a squirt gun.

Kansas used to be 22cal rimfire only for coon at night over hounds. This precluded 17HM2 and HMR, would have eliminated the WSM too, but they weren't around back then.

We did change it, so now it's rimfire only.

But all of that aside, I have had it all - dedicated 22LR AR uppers, conversion kits, and dedicated look-alike rifles like the M&P 15-22. The Dedicated look-alike rifles are the way to go. Conversions don't run worth schitt, dedicated uppers cost more than the look-alikes, and don't run any better in general than the conversions without work. The dedicated 22lr look-alikes run right, look right, feel right, and cost right.

Back