Wife shot her first coyote

dustinyotes

My wife has been coyote hunting with me several times but for some reason or another she has not been able to shoot a coyote yet. We got up this morning at 4:00 to see if we could go find some coyotes with my dog Jo.

As we were driving to our first stand of the day my wife spotted a coyote out in the sagebrush so we drove about another half mile down the road and over a hill and walked out to were we thought the coyote was headed. I set up my Foxpro and after a couple howls we had several coyotes answer to our right.

This is Jo when she first heard the coyotes howl right at sun up.

Jo headed in the direction of the coyotes and over a hill about 400 yards to our right. The coyotes continued to bark and howl while Jo was headed their way. About the time Jo got to the coyotes we heard two more coyotes barking, one to our left and one in front of us. I toned Jo to come back and we soon had 5 coyotes and Jo running around in front of us about 300 yards out. I toned Jo again and she headed our way but dropped out of sight in a small sagebrush area. When Jo came into view again she had one coyote in tow. Jo came all the way to us but the coyote stopped at about 100 yards out and kept barking. My wife shot at the coyote but missed. The coyote ran back into the sagebrush with Jo chasing, soon Jo came back our way and this time she had 2 coyotes following. The coyotes hung up again at about 100 yards and I told my wife to shoot one. This time I heard the wonderful sound of bullet hitting coyote. Jo ran to the coyote and began chewing on it, we waited to see if the other coyote would come back but it didn't.

This is what the stand looked like.

This is my awesome wife and her first coyote. She was shooting my 17 Remington with a 30 grain berger.

Our next stand we were looking over a huge area,we walked out to spot that we could watch a small ravine in a long hill.

This is what the stand looked like.

I started with some howls again and Jo headed down the hill and to our right where we couldn't see her. I was watching Jo on the GPS and when she was about 600 yards out we started hearing a couple coyotes barking. We got up and walked over to our right until we could see Jo, we could hear coyotes but could not see them. I looked back at the ravine and saw a coyote heading up to where we were sitting. I left my wife there and tried to sneak over and get a shot and the coyote but only spooked it back down the hill. My wife made her way over to where I was and we watched the coyote run down the hill and into a brushy area. Jo saw the coyote and chased it through the brush for a while and then turned and started back up toward us. At this point Jo was about 700 yards out and she slowly made her way up the hill with the coyote following barking its head off. When the coyote got to about 200 yards out it stopped and just barked for a few minutes. I figured that was as far as the coyote was going to come so I dropped it with my 220 Swift.

Here is my coyote.

I tried to get all of us in a photo, might need to look into getting a selfie stick.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good story, great pictures, great looking country. Kudos to the wife on her first coyote. Hope it is the first of many for the deadly duet.

Thanks for all of the kind words, I love where I live and I love being married to someone who enjoys hunting as much as I do. It has been our dream for many years to be able to hunt coyotes together, we just had to wait until our kids were old enough to leave at home.

Now I have to get the kids out and do the same.

Back