Upper and Lower Loose???

gene10pntr

I have an Aero upper and a Anderson lower and they don't fit snug. Will this cause on unwanted wear on parts? What about accuracy? What can I do to take the slop out???

Thanks!
Gene

Originally Posted By: gene10pntr I have an Aero upper and a Anderson lower and they don't fit snug. Will this cause on unwanted wear on parts? What about accuracy? What can I do to take the slop out???

Thanks!
Gene

I've never used one so I can't give any first hand experience but if the loose fit between the upper and lower bothers you maybe try one of those Accu Wedge things but, depending how loose the fit is, it's doubtful it'll cause you any accuracy problems.

Although bothersome it is not a problem. If it does bother you. The wedge works ok, you can get a front pin that is designed to tighten it up some.

Use the National Match match solution. Put a match out of a matchbook in between the upper and lower at the front pin and close. Problem solved for less than a penny.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOr cut down a foam earplug and stuff it in the lower under the rear take down pin.

That's what I did, reduced movement by quite a bit. Might have to try the match trick!

I used 5 thousandth thick brass shim. I got it from Hobby Lobby. You cut a strip with scissors about 3/8 inch wide and long enough to span the lower and far enough behind the hammer, so it won't hit it. Make that just a bit longer that the span of the lower. That way you can bend over the edge of the brass and keep it from sliding out. On one of my rifles .005 was enough, on another .015 was the solution. I use the brass even on the one that has the adjustment bolt in the lower. Just works better in my opinion. Oh, and accuracy is vastly improved.

+100..Quote:Or cut down a foam earplug and stuff it in the lower under the rear take down pin,,,or on top of the pin...Either way works well...I've always had a problem paying $$ for the accu=wedge, just to lose them when tearing down the rifle to clean at a match between stages and then losing it on the ground..

Last edited:
Did the match trick and it tightened it up nice,but will go to Hobby Lobby and get the brass and shim it up. The brass sounds more professional!
smile.gif

Thanks for the tips!!!
Gene

Back