Installing new barrel

D_Bell

I have a barrel I am trying to install in a new Aero Precison upper, however, the opening is too tight to insert the barrel. It goes in just a bit, but won't continue.

Any suggestions?

it is very close to going if it starts in.

several things you can do. put barrel in freezer for an hour. heat the upper up with a heat gun. quickly insert cold barrel into upper. should slip right in.

or... it sounds so close to going i bet it would go just by tapping the barrel with a rubber mallet. maybe put a little oil on the barrel first.

Definitely a rubber mallet or something soft like wood. Nick the crown on the barrel on you will be wondering why it won't shoot well.

I'd leave that barrel in the freezer 3-4 hours. The heat gun will work or you could throw the upper in some boiling water for about 10 minutes. I've heard of guys dipping them in cooking oil too.

Greg

Oh, wear gloves....

The freezer / Heat gun trick did it. Plus, with the help of a rubber mallet. All good now.

Thanks everyone!

How should they slide into the receiver?? Should they be snug or loose fit? And if loose fit does that affect accuracy?? Thanks.. Dan

If the barrel starts into the receiver, then use the barrel barrel nut to drive it home. Just did that with a new barrel/upper I built today. Easy peasy.

Originally Posted By: dan158How should they slide into the receiver?? Should they be snug or loose fit? And if loose fit does that affect accuracy?? Thanks.. Dan

it should be relatively snug.

all the upper/barrel combo's i have are pretty tight, but dont need any special handling to insert the barrel extension into the receiver.

as you guessed, you dont want it floppy in there - it should be snug. the barrel nut will force the receiver extension to mate up with the receiver, but you still wouldnt want any extra play than necessary to insert it.

an interference fit (the heat/cold trick) is probably a bit too snug, but close enough that it shouldnt hurt anything.

hth

Back