Barrel twist question Please!

pyscodog

My Ruger Precision in 243 Win has a 7.7 twist. What bullet was Ruger thinking of using when they designed this twist? Why not 7 or 7.5 or even 8. Seems 7.7 is such an odd number to come up with. I am aware its so it will handle heavy pills but just curious if they had a certain bullet in mind.

Thanks-Bill

Last edited:
Are you sure your getting a good tight patch? How are you measuring it? Seems that is a pretty odd one for a factory rifle if it's truly 7.7?
Looked it up and it is a 7.7 from the factory. I'd be looking at the 105class bullet for it. The 95 class may shoot depending on the bullet though

Last edited:
Its a factory twist for sure. The rifle shoots very well with a 90 grain Berger Match, 95 VLD's not so good. I'm just starting load work so its pretty open right now. I have several bullets to choose from so I have some work to do. I just wondered if Ruger had a certain bullet in mind when the came up with this twist.

Barrel twists are many times not actual...I always check. It's like calibers and cartridges, sometimes they don't measure what they are called. I just recently barreled a 223 with an X-caliber barrel that was supposed to be 1-in-9 when it in fact is really a 1-in-8.5.
I have noticed that sometimes barrels with a faster twist will shoot lighter bullets very accurately, but sometimes not.
If you want to shoot VLD's I would suggest you go to Berger's website and read the article about tuning them...very interesting.

7.7 is not a gain twist. Gain twist refers to when the barrels twist rate changes throughout the length of barrel. The 7.7s will stabilize the 105 hybrids.

Originally Posted By: Smokin2507.7 is not a gain twist. Gain twist refers to when the barrels twist rate changes throughout the length of barrel. The 7.7s will stabilize the 105 hybrids.

7.7, if that is what was actually measured in the bore just might be a gain twist barrel...but if it was advertised as a 7.7 then maybe not. Point being that just as you say it changes in the bore, if checked where it could read 7.7 it could still be a gain twist. many rifle barrels are advertised with a particular twist rate as if they are constant or fixed when in fact they may have a slight gain...Obermeyer barrels are supposed to be this way. I have one and have never checked it. Bottom line on barrel twist, if you really want to know what you have then you had better measure because as often as not they are not exactly as advertised and can also have a gain {however slight} yet claim to be fixed.

No, its not going to be a gain twist barrel.

2 different animals.

Throw the barrel in the scrap pile and have another one spun up in whatever flavor you want if a 7.7" concerns everyone so much. It isn't going to last long anyway, so might as well have a spare ready.

If it is a gain twist barrel of 7 to say 9 1/2 then there WILL BE A POINT in that particular bore that measures 7.7. Period, end of story. There is no {zero chance} of getting around it, simple mechanics. The only question is IF that is the exact spot where this one was measured. The only way the point in the barrel that would measure 7.7 could not be measured is if it is not within the range of the amount of gain, i.e., a gain twist barrel of 8 to 10.5. No 7.7 in that one.

According to ruger the barrel is a STANDARD 1-7.7 twist barrel and not a gain twist barrel. 1-7.7 twist was originally designed by kreiger to shoot the 115 D-TAC and long discontinued 120 class match bullets. Ruger used this twist rate for the simple reason that there rifle is designed for long range shooting which most people do with the 115 D-TAC and other heavy VLD bullets, that do best in fast twist barrels.

Originally Posted By: kyyotestalkerAccording to ruger the barrel is a STANDARD 1-7.7 twist barrel and not a gain twist barrel. 1-7.7 twist was originally designed by kreiger to shoot the 115 D-TAC and long discontinued 120 class match bullets. Ruger used this twist rate for the simple reason that there rifle is designed for long range shooting which most people do with the 115 D-TAC and other heavy VLD bullets, that do best in fast twist barrels.

This is basically the answer I was looking for in my original post.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: kyyotestalkerAccording to ruger the barrel is a STANDARD 1-7.7 twist barrel and not a gain twist barrel. 1-7.7 twist was originally designed by kreiger to shoot the 115 D-TAC and long discontinued 120 class match bullets. Ruger used this twist rate for the simple reason that there rifle is designed for long range shooting which most people do with the 115 D-TAC and other heavy VLD bullets, that do best in fast twist barrels.

This is basically the answer I was looking for in my original post.

well all you had to do was ask.
tongue_smilie.gif

Back