Help with accuracy on a DTECH upper

jdohio

What kind of accuracy should I expect with factory Hornaday 40gr ammunition? Lately I've been hitting groundhogs at 200+ yards and missing them at 125 yards. I took my AR to the shooting range to see what was going on and I wasn't impressed. I am considering getting rid of it and going back to my Remington 700 in 22-250. Before I sell the AR, I am looking for advice on improving the accuracy (consistency). Unfortunately I don't have time to work up a handload, so I need to find something that shoots factory ammo well. Is the factory ammo causing the inconsistency?

About 4 years ago I did a lot of research and ultimately found a nice used DTECH upper. It has a 22" fluted barrel with 1-10 twist and integral compensator. I think the bolt came from DTECH as well but I don't know how to verify. I have a Nikon Monarch 5-20x scope on it.

It was a nice day with a good enough rest and here are the results. each 3 shots at 100 yards. If I did it right you'll see 3 pictures below:

204R-7.7.16-3_zpsnls9s9tx.jpg

204R-7.7.16-1_zpsddwioqvr.jpg

204R-7.7.16-2_zpsholnjsei.jpg

Then I shot my trusty model 700 22-250 and saw targets like this consistently. And I only have a 14x scope on it:

22-250-7.7.16-3_zps2j0fldei.jpg

That is what I would expect from 40 grain vmax loads. Try to find some factory loadings with a different bullet. Try to find either a 39 grain blitz king or a 35 Berger. I've had two rifles that hated 40 grain vmaxes, but I have one now that shoots acceptable with them.

What cartridge is this upper chambered for?

If it is a .223 caliber something, then the 40 gr. VMax is a very light bullet, for a .223, and if it is a .20 caliber something, then the 40 gr. VMax is a heavy bullet, and may need a faster twist to stabilize. I think we need more info.

But the general answer to your question is, yes, this factory ammo, in your rifle, may not shoot tight groups. Have you tried other factory ammo?

Squeeze

Thanks for the replies so far. Based on feedback here and over at 204ruger.com I'll have to try some other factory ammo. I have some 32 Gr Vmax and a few federal with 39 gr. I may try the fiochi 40gr too.

I'm far from an expert on ARs. How can I verify what it is chambered in?

Originally Posted By: jdohioI'm far from an expert on ARs. How can I verify what it is chambered in?

it is not stamped on the barrel? if it is really a dtech upper the barrel is stamped. sure of that.

you are not sure of the chambering but you are shooting 204 in it? that is scary.
scared.gif

I don't see it stamped on the barrel anywhere. Usually I see it printed on the gas block on the dtechs but not mine. I bought it as a 204 and I've shot 200 rounds through it. It's a 204.

I wasnt sure if he meant there was extra machining done to make it a 204. I assume everything was done right when it was made.

Originally Posted By: jdohio Usually I see it printed on the gas block on the dtechs but not mine.

since the same gas block could be used on numerous different chambered barrels it seems odd that a gas block would have the chambering stamped on it. never had a dtech, so do not know if that is the way he does it. just seems odd. the barrel is where most all are stamped.

i am sure you are right though. it probably is 204. try some fiocchi 40 grain. maybe even try the same in 32gr.

you said this
Originally Posted By: jdohio Lately I've been hitting groundhogs at 200+ yards and missing them at 125 yards.

what are you thoughts on this? why do you think this is happening?

kind of a weird phenomenon you got going on there.

Remember that your scope is probably a full inch higher above your bore in an AR platform than on your bolt gun this can cause the trajectory to be slightly different than your accustomed. That may account for misses at 125-150 yard distances if you are sighted in at say 200-250 yards as that is the peak of your trajectory.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: jdohio Usually I see it printed on the gas block on the dtechs but not mine.

since the same gas block could be used on numerous different chambered barrels it seems odd that a gas block would have the chambering stamped on it. never had a dtech, so do not know if that is the way he does it. just seems odd. the barrel is where most all are stamped.

i am sure you are right though. it probably is 204. try some fiocchi 40 grain. maybe even try the same in 32gr.

All my rifles have the caliber on the barrel. Maybe the AR has it hidden, I'm not sure. here is how I typically see it, but mine might be older.

9250429_orig.jpg

Originally Posted By: venaticRemember that your scope is probably a full inch higher above your bore in an AR platform than on your bolt gun this can cause the trajectory to be slightly different than your accustomed. That may account for misses at 125-150 yard distances if you are sighted in at say 200-250 yards as that is the peak of your trajectory.

Right. I try to hold .7" low at 100yds. I use an app on my phone called Nikon SpotOn. That's also the reason I like using factory ammo, because I can select what I'm using and the calculator will tell me how to hold.

I have a 20 Tactical from Mike that is a nice accurate build. I got it in 2007 before he started his own GB design. Mine is not marked on the barrel and marking it on a GB is not the be all to end all for down the road usage/sales. Swap to a different GB and there goes the marking unless it is stamped somewhere else. If someone bought mine they would have a pig in poke in determining what it is.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooter Swap to a different GB and there goes the marking unless it is stamped somewhere else. If someone bought mine they would have a pig in poke in determining what it is.

Greg

greg, for chamber, there is no other marking on the barrel at all? anywhere?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: GLShooter Swap to a different GB and there goes the marking unless it is stamped somewhere else. If someone bought mine they would have a pig in poke in determining what it is.

Greg

greg, for chamber, there is no other marking on the barrel at all? anywhere?

Unless it is up under the HG there is nothing on the barrel other than some nice fluting.

Greg

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotbe interesting to know if it is marked someplace under the hand guard. sure seems strange if it is not.

It's not as unusual as you would think. I have a few customs that are not marked. One is a 358 Norma Mag from Champlain Arms. I have several AR'S done without. I'm not going to pull the forearm off to look..lol

Greg

Back