Mossberg patriot or Howa legacy

Well, like the others my vote is for the Howa. I have the Hogue Kryptek Cerakote Package in 22-250 and I absolutely love it.

I don't want to pile on here, but definitely the Howa.

I just handled each of these a week ago and although I like having a detachable magazine, which the Mossberg has, I would still take the Howa. They have a proven track record.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8I don't want to pile on here, but definitely the Howa.

I just handled each of these a week ago and although I like having a detachable magazine, which the Mossberg has, I would still take the Howa. They have a proven track record.

I also like the fact that you can order the magazine attachment for the Howa to switch it over.

You Howa people have any experience with Mossbergs, or are you going on interweb reviews? I have two Mossbergs now and they really can shoot. I don't how ever have any experience with Howa and can't give an accurate answer. Those of you that own both are the only qualified ones to answer the question.

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterThose of you that own both are the only qualified ones to answer the question.

good luck with that.
lol.gif

I have 2 Howa's and my vote is for the Howa's. My son runs a gun dept. He owns a Mossberg that he got at a discounted price and is always trying to get me to buy one. Not going to happen. I used his for a couple of weeks, sighted it in etc.and shooting P.D. and other stuff. Didn't like the bolt action and the way it fed the rounds. Just as accurate as a Howa but not even close to the quality.One selling point for the Mossberg is that it does use AR style clips,if you are into that sort of thing.

Mine are both 7.62 and the bolts run really smooth in both of them. It likes Pmags alot better than the stock box mag. And I have heard the 5.56's have had some feed issues. I'm not trying to convince you to go with a mossy, just giving you my take on them. Both will shoot 1/2" MOA but it took a little work to get there.

4 Howas in the safe, brother has one and sold one. All were shooters.

No experience with the Mossberg and don't see that changing soon.

Howa makes the barreled actions for both companies (mossberg won't admit to this, but look at the two actions side by side without stocks and you'll see it straight away... Mossberg makes there own POS bolt and it makes it an inferior gun. I had a Mossberg ATR when they first came out and it was extremely accurate, but the bolt was pressed together with one of the pieces of the bolt being a gnurled fit. The Howa is the better gun of the two all day long.
IMGP2427_zpsf3auvp31.jpg

IMGP2429_zpsg91cxgvu.jpg

They had to change this cause they got sued, but I wouldn't trust them after pulling that crap again...

Last edited:
We have a Mossberg in the shop now to be sent in for repairs. I believe its a busted firing pin. I got a new On Target mag this week and Howa is releasing a new caliber in their mini action, 6.5 Grendel. Might be one to look at.

Howa was building rifles for both S&W and Mossberg at one time and I am pretty sure they all had the "1500" engraving on them.

Back