Calling on the Ranch

-CoyoteHunter-

As I made the six hour drive to Southern Colorado, I couldn't help but daydream about doing some coyote calling on my grandparents' ranch. I have become addicted to the thrill of calling in coyotes, but have not been able to do any calling since January; I was hoping for some action.

After helping out around the ranch for several days, an opportunity to go calling arose. I made plans with my little cousin to pick him up in the morning, and we were going to make a few stands before it got too hot. As we drove to our first stand, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with excitement! We made our way to a draw with some cover to the North, and some wide open country to the south. I began to blow on the call, and immediately had several coyotes howling to the North. About 7 minutes into the stand, a coyote ran out from behind a tree to the south at about 7 yards, and immediately spun and took off into the draw, giving me no shot. "Darn it!" I thought, how do coyotes always seem to be able to appear out of nowhere, even in open country? I was frustrated, but decided to hit some pup distress on my trusty hand call. About a minute later, my cousin whispered "coyote to the left", as I slowly scanned to the left, I finally saw the coyote at about 10 yards away. He started to trot away, so I let out a bark and pulled the trigger. Fur down! I was very excited about that coyote, as we had him down by 5:40 AM.
image1%201_zpsoemwaom1.jpg

After a few blank stands, we got to a spot overlooking a river bottom, and I began to call. I had a good feeling about this spot as we were walking up, and wouldn't you know it, a coyote popped up out of a draw within 10 seconds of calling. I began to coax him in, when another coyote comes running right by the first coyote. That coyote must have caught our wind, and spooked the first coyote. I knew it was now or never, and squeezed off a shot at about 200 yards. No luck. I shot right under him. My cousin got the scene on video with my phone, too bad it didn't end better!

http://vid1321.photobucket.com/albums/u549/PredatorSlayer1/Colorado%20Coyote_zpsfsgwb8de.mp4

That ended our morning, but I was itching to go out one more day. Yesterday morning, I picked up my cousin to make another go at it. The weather was not looking good, as there was lightning all around. We made a couple of blank stands when it began to rain. I was frustrated, and contemplated calling it a morning. However, I thought better of it, and we drove to a new spot and took a quick nap to wait out the rain. After about 30 minutes, the rain let up, and we walked out to make a stand. I began blowing on the call, and within about a minute, a coyote appeared! I began lip squeaking and he began to trot closer. Finally, I let out a couple of barks to stop him, and made a good shot. My cousin got it on video, and I was so excited!

http://vid1321.photobucket.com/albums/u549/PredatorSlayer1/Colorado%20Coyote%202_zpsslk8twb8.mp4

7-8-2016_zpsc0keiueb.jpg

After a few more blank stands, we headed in for the day. However, I got the itch again that afternoon, and decided to try again. While the storm had moved out, the wind had picked up, and I wasn't optimistic about our chances. One blank stand, and I decided one more would be enough. We headed to a pasture where I thought there was a den, and began calling. After about 10 minutes, I was about ready to give up, and then I looked to my right. A little pup was running in! I swung around, just as the pup saw me, and took a shot. Another one down! I was ecstatic.

http://vid1321.photobucket.com/albums/u549/PredatorSlayer1/Colorado%20Coyote%203_zpsh3g55rvq.mp4

7-8-2016%202_zpszxdmx5im.jpg

What a great couple of days in Colorado!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job on the coyotes I love the scenery !.Its hard not to get excited when you see a coyote coming into the call so many things can go wrong.
Thanks for sharing

Back