Shot Shell question

barrelslime

I went to Hodgdon web site and put in the recipe I wanted for my coyote loads.
12 ga.
3" Federal hull
1-7/8 oz lead shot
Longshot powder.

It coughed up a wad Rem sp12.

I found this wad at Midway USA and it says it is for use in 2-3/4" shells and has a max capacity of 1-1/4 for shot.

Will this was work for my recipe? I am trying to achieve 1210 FPS,.

It may crimp fine but about 1/3 of the 1-7/8 oz of shot will not be inside the shotcup.

What size lead shot are you planning on using? The bigger the shot is, the more space it will take up in the hull. So 1-7/8 oz of #6 shot may fit but 1-7/8 oz of lead T shot may not fit.

Many of the shot shell data recipes do not fit in the hull like they say they will. Some loads call for a 1/8" spacer wad and you will need a 1/4" spacer wad. Or you may have to remove close to 1/8 oz of shot to get the load to crimp with no spacer wads.

I like using the big cup wads that are made for steel shot or Tungsten shot. I can't get as much shot in the shell when using the big thick cup wads but all of the shot is inside the wad.

Go get you the latest lyman shotshell box lots of loads and info there. I don't like the sp 12 wads I have gotten poor/weak patterns with my turkey loads with that wad.
I prefer the rp12 version. This is with 1 5/8 of copperplated #4 buffered. 3inch federal hull. The sp12 wad petals are not slit all the way down like a rp12and I feel that they are tumbling/ not releasing from the shot charge cleanly.
J

That's to big of a pay load.
It will be going under 1200 FPS, mighty slow for a coyote shell. I'll bet if you use the wad and only put in 1 1/2oz or even 1 3/8 oz and ramped up the powder charge you would have a better load.
I use 38 gr "Steel" powder and 1 1/2 OZ and get 1500 fps and with a .669 choke and lead "F" shot a very deadly coyote load .
60 yards and more...

Last edited:
Back