Case annealer opinions

wilydawg

For all you who anneal cases, I'm considering an upgrade from the "drill and socket" method.

I've looked at the Giraud, Bench Source, Annealeez and Mike's Reloading Bench versions, as well as the Annie Fluxeon Inductive unit. They all have their benefits and can be had at price points from $275 up to $500+.

I found this one: Skagit Annealer several pages deep in Google and wondered if any of you have any experience with one or know anything about it. Not much online in the form of reviews. It's similar to the design of a well known DIY model circulating on the internet (which apparently costs about $100 in parts plus whatever "cabinet" you build, plus the time it takes to build it) but professionally done. It's the best price point I could find for an actual machine ($255 gets you the machine, torch and a bottle of Tempilaq and free shipping). Seems pretty legit and really only about $100 more than the DIY version (factoring in the torch and Tempilaq) so seems like money well spent to avoid all the work to build my own. I won't be doing massive volumes of cases so being "automatic" isn't a necessity for me.

Opinions welcome on this one, one you may own or one I didn't list.

Thanks guys...

I own a Bench Source annealer, and have never had any reason to look at anything else.

The torches I use are discontinued, but these torches are just as good and easier to install. Here's the amazon link: http://amzn.to/29kzrS2

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresBench Source is what I use as well. Fantastic product

Me, too. And yes it is.

Squeeze

if you read the study brian litz and some others have done it is not worth it for accuracy and don't save that much brass either. just saying check everything first they are not cheap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lyotehunterif you read the study brian litz and some others have done it is not worth it for accuracy and don't save that much brass either.

That is a very sweeping statement.

My experiences with annealing would indicate the opposite. In field chambers where neck expansion is great, annealing will significantly extend the life of the brass. In match chambers the effect will be lessened. Consistent bullet seating force as a result of brass hardness uniformity has led to far fewer fliers among large batches of brass. When wildcatting, some operations simply can not be accomplished successfully without an annealing.

The cost/benefit analysis of having an annealer will certainly vary from shooter to shooter. However that is a direct result of the kind of shooter they are and what their own measure of success is. Annealed brass will be more consistent than non-annealed brass. This is not really up for debate in my mind, as it has been proven for decades. Though it certainly is up for debate whether it would be worth it for someone shooting between 1/2 and 1 MOA. If you're working around or trying to get to 1/4 MOA however, you can reap large rewards from annealing.

I own one of the first Bench Source annealers produced. I have not seen anything that compares. The owner is a great guy. I kind of got involved in the development. When my .22 Hornet cases were occassionally tipping, he made me a set of inserts that drop in the holes, and I have had no problem since. He actually cares and will listen to users suggestions.

I have a Bench source and have no complaints, its a great machine but if the Giraud would have been available at the time I would have picked it

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: lyotehunterif you read the study brian litz and some others have done it is not worth it for accuracy and don't save that much brass either.

My experiences with annealing would indicate the opposite. In field chambers where neck expansion is great, annealing will significantly extend the life of the brass. In match chambers the effect will be lessened. Consistent bullet seating force as a result of brass hardness uniformity has led to far fewer fliers among large batches of brass. When wildcatting, some operations simply can not be accomplished successfully without an annealing.

The cost/benefit analysis of having an annealer will certainly vary from shooter to shooter. However that is a direct result of the kind of shooter they are and what their own measure of success is. Annealed brass will be more consistent than non-annealed brass. This is not really up for debate in my mind, as it has been proven for decades. Though it certainly is up for debate whether it would be worth it for someone shooting between 1/2 and 1 MOA. If you're working around or trying to get to 1/4 MOA however, you can reap large rewards from annealing.

+1000

I'm not shooting much these days. I'll just use the sun and a piece of coke bottle.
grin.gif

orkan,
Very well written reply and completely accurate.

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: lyotehunterif you read the study brian litz and some others have done it is not worth it for accuracy and don't save that much brass either.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I'm going to order an Annealezz. It seems it will fill my needs well.

i have one, it seems to work quite well for a (relatively) budget priced annealing machine. when i got mine i ran in excess of 4000 cases through it on its trial run. my only complaint is that 308 diamater brass bridges if you fill the hopper to far, i dont know if they have addressed the bridging issue in their design since i noticed it in feb. so be aware it may happen with that case diameter.

this is my review when i got mine if you'd like to read it.

orkan all I did was read and tell what I read ,concerning accuracy and long brass life.i I shoot 1000"s of rounds for accuracy for precision long range shooting. I said check all things before spending a lot of money.

Back