How often do you change your media?

The Virginian

All,

How often do you change your media in your brass tumblers? I've been using the same batch for the last 7 years and feel compelled to change it out. I throw a cap full of Lyman media polish in it every use. Also, some folks throw in a dryer sheet like Bounce for keeping the media cleansed. it apparently collects the dirt and dust.

Eric

When I have to run the tumbler for 2 days straight to clean brass then it's time for new media. I change it maybe once a year.

When my walnut media gets to dirty to clean I dump it in a 5 gal bucket, add detergent & wash it, strain it, re wash until its clean, lay out till dry & reused it.

I'm in the same camp as 5spd. I've used the same media for many years, 10 I think. Changed it at 10 years and did not notice a difference with the new stuff.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHave never thought of washing it. I just assumed it was worn out and needed replaced. Here we go learning again.

for the cost, i never considered it either.

i buy crushed walnut for about $1 a pound from HF.

when i was still try tumbling i'd use it for about a year and then toss it when it got too grody.

now that i'm stainless tumbling, i dont suspect i'll ever have to replace my media.

Back