Lapua Brass

gene10pntr

I just received 200 new brass from Lapua as a gift. Do I need to resize them or any thing else? I haven't opened them up yet to measure any thing.

Thanks!

Lapua is normally "dead on good to go" but any manufacturing process can break down and let something through. Personally I would visually inspect all of them and check length and then load them.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8Lapua is normally "dead on good to go" but any manufacturing process can break down and let something through. Personally I would visually inspect all of them and check length and then load them.

Good info there.
thumbup1.gif

I've used a bunch of it and I've never had a case that wasn't ready to load right out of the box. There have been a few cases that had a slight ding on the case mouths from bouncing around in the box. I just give those a light spin on some needle nose pliers to round them out.

Originally Posted By: john pruittgreat brass you really need to use a expander die chamfer them and you will see good results
thumbup1.gif

+1

Great brass!!!

Originally Posted By: D_BellOriginally Posted By: john pruittgreat brass you really need to use a expander die chamfer them and you will see good results
thumbup1.gif

+1

Great brass!!!

+2 This is exactly what I do with new Lapua brass.

I've gotten so addicted to using Lapua brass, with the exception of my rimfires and a little CZ 527 17 Hornet I just bought, I don't have anything that doesn't use some type of Lapua brass as its parent case.

You get really spoiled when you use Lapua brass and it makes using most of the others rather frustrating. Nosler and Norma brass is pretty good stuff, but they won't hold primers tight as long as Lapua.

Don't be complacent, regardless of brand name. Due diligence is required. I've seen plenty of "bad" batches of lapua. Just a moment ago I finished sizing a batch of 150 6BR cases and found 2 cases with creased necks. Lapua is certainly not infallible.

The one on the left was a creased case I didn't catch when it was brand new, and upon firing, split all the way up the neck. The one on the right you can just barely see, is creased on the shoulder. Within a firing or two, it would probably split too.

vHPbtH2h.jpg

Back