Made the rancher happy today!

derbyacresbob

Monday night I got a call from a rancher, he wanted me to come out and call some coyotes. He was pretty sure that coyotes got two of his calves in the last few weeks.

I don't normally call coyotes much in July so I wasn't real excited about going. But since this rancher and his family have been very good to me I told him I would come out first thing on Wednesday.

I had to leave my house this morning at 4:00 am to get to the ranch right at 5:00 am. I went through the locked gate and only had to drive about 300 yards and parked my truck behind some junipers.

I walked up the ranch road about 200 yards just as it was getting light enough to see a coyote.

I set my Foxpro Fury about 35 yards away from the road in a flat area where two canyons meet. I had the Fury pointed up one canyon and my SP-60 speaker pointed up the other canyon.

I laid down prone with my rifle on the edge of the dirt road about 35 yards from the call. I also had my shotgun laying next to me.

I started out playing Bay Bee Cottontail and within two minutes I saw a coyote run up and stop about 20 yards from my Foxpro. It was hard to see with just my eyes but looking through the scope I could see it pretty good so I shot it with my 243 Win with a Nosler 55 gr BT Lead Free bullet.

Just a minute or two later another coyote ran down the other canyon and stopped about 50 yards from my Foxpro my 243 dropped this one also.

I switched sounds to Pup Distress 3 on full volume and within a minute there was a good sized coyote that ran in and was jumping all around my caller while it was playing Pup Distress 3. This coyote would not stop moving so I shot it with my shotgun with a 3" 1-1/2 oz Rem HD BB load.

Just a minute or so later another coyote stopped right out in front of my Foxpro so I used the 243 to put that one down.

It was pretty crazy it was just barely light enough to see and I had 4 coyotes down.
2016-07-06%2004.45.38.jpg

I think the coyote on the right was the one I had trouble seeing.

On my next stand I had a good sized male come in after calling for about 15 minutes. This coyote stopped about 100 yards out and the 243 put him down hard.
2016-07-06%2005.37.25-1.jpg

After blanking on the next 4 stands I had a pair of coyotes come in to Bay Bee Cottontail in about 3 minutes. I got one of them at about 20 yards with my shotgun when it stopped to check out what was making all the noise.
2016-07-06%2009.12.53.jpg

I made two more blank stands and called it a day at 10:30 am it was just a little to hot for me to keep at it. The rancher thought I was kidding him when I told him I got 6 coyotes.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

It was a great morning.

Wow you sure got into them.How did you call them in during the day I thought it was almost impossible to do that..

Those are great days when everything falls into place & you can stack them up like that.
Very nice of the coyotes to come flying in which means they have not been very well educated.

Man you guys must have some user friendly coyotes out there. Could you please transplant a few to alter the coyote intelligence genetics here in Illinois so I can have some of that fun. My wife probably would divorce me if I pulled off a quad cuz I wouldn't stop talking about that for a solid decade at least lol. Im jealous! It's almost as if you yotes have been breeding with some of your politicians rendering the pack ignorant lol.

Last edited:

Quote: It's almost as if you yotes have been breeding with some of your politicians rendering the pack ignorant lol.

lol.gif
lol.gif
Classic!
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996
Quote: It's almost as if you yotes have been breeding with some of your politicians rendering the pack ignorant lol.

lol.gif
lol.gif
Classic!
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

not even a coyote would stoop low enough to boink a cali politician. give a coyote some credit here men. geeze.

great morning derbyacresbob. nice shooting.
thumbup.gif

Awesome, Bob! Sounds like you hit a load of yoties...Out of curiosity, how big is that particular ranch? Just curious the size of the ranch based on the amount of coyotes you took off of it.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: hm1996

lol.gif
lol.gif
Classic!
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

not even a coyote would stoop low enough to boink a cali politician. give a coyote some credit here men. geeze.

great morning derbyacresbob. nice shooting.
thumbup.gif

Thats a low blow to our Coyotes. Get real man....Our yotes wouldnt touch a Cali politician.

I know it works for you, and really enjoy reading your hunting reports. But, I just can't see me lying on the ground and then getting into a shooting position. Maybe if I were young again! Keep the reports coming.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerAwesome, Bob! Sounds like you hit a load of yoties...Out of curiosity, how big is that particular ranch? Just curious the size of the ranch based on the amount of coyotes you took off of it.

This ranch is about 15,000 acres and it is completely surrounded by private property. Yesterday when I called this property I didn't cover 25% of it.

Most of the ranches I hunt are surrounded by private property, Government refuges or government land that is closed to hunting.

So even if I did thin the coyote numbers pretty good on these ranches there are plenty of coyotes next door to come in and replace them.

Many years ago I was trapping on about 30,000 acres of private land. I had taken 42 coyotes with my traps before we got the first rain in December. When I saw all the coyotes tracks that were in the fresh mud on the ranch roads I realized I wasn't putting much of a dent in the coyote population.

The drought that we are having lowered the coyote population way more than hunters or trappers ever could.

Things are looking better though from the rain we did get this year. In the last 3 years I didn't get hardly any coyote pups on my trail cameras.

Yesterday while I was on this ranch I pulled some trail camera cards and it looks like the coyote population is on a up swing.

2016-06-06%2003.11.30-2.jpg

2016-06-06%2003.12.35.jpg

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerAwesome, Bob! Sounds like you hit a load of yoties...Out of curiosity, how big is that particular ranch? Just curious the size of the ranch based on the amount of coyotes you took off of it.

This ranch is about 15,000 acres and it is completely surrounded by private property. Yesterday when I called this property I didn't cover 25% of it.

Most of the ranches I hunt are surrounded by private property, Government refuges or government land that is closed to hunting.

So even if I did thin the coyote numbers pretty good on these ranches there are plenty of coyotes next door to come in and replace them.

Many years ago I was trapping on about 30,000 acres of private land. I had taken 42 coyotes with my traps before we got the first rain in December. When I saw all the coyotes tracks that were in the fresh mud on the ranch roads I realized I wasn't putting much of a dent in the coyote population.

The drought that we are having lowered the coyote population way more than hunters or trappers ever could.

Things are looking better though from the rain we did get this year. In the last 3 years I didn't get hardly any coyote pups on my trail cameras.

Yesterday while I was on this ranch I pulled some trail camera cards and it looks like the coyote population is on a up swing.

2016-06-06%2003.11.30-2.jpg

2016-06-06%2003.12.35.jpg

Thanx for the info, Bob! Cool pics....with the ranches you hunt being surrounded by private, there should always been plenty of Yotes to call, as you said.

Back