Painting the stock on my Ruger American Ranch

Anyone have any suggestions on how to give my stock a krylon camo paint job? I would like to give it a shot, but I'm worried about messing it up. Has anyone done this on their Ruger American rifles? If it ends up looking bad, will I be able to strip it back off and make it look factory again? Thanks in advance for the help!

did my savage axis. take stock off don't paint barrel or any of that cause resale will go to crap.

I did the stock in sand color textured paint and didn't like it. I got grey textured paint and sprayed 2 coats over primer and got webbing paint that sprays like a spider web at the craft store and sprayed a box to see how it comes out and once I got the hang of it I sprayed the stock with it. stocks grey with silver spider web looking paint all over it. looks awesome.

advice. tape the inside of the stock so you don't paint it. I got paint in the action screw holes and it made a mess as well as where the action sits in don't paint anything inside.

Remove stock and wipe down good w/acetone. I put base coat of primer, then coat of sand color and let dry overnight. Used OD and chocolate brown for contrast by spraying a spoonful or so into the paint can cap, wet small sponge and dab on randomly. Once satisfied w/finish I put one coat of semi gloss clear krylon to protect. Have hunted several years with this one:

You could probably strip the paint if not satisfied or just cover it up w/flat black. I built up a fiberglass cheekpiece and comb on a wooden Mod. 70 stock and painted flat black w/a coat of clearcoat that has held up very well.

Regards,
hm

I haven't done a Ruger stock, but I've done a couple Tikka T3's. Agree with ohihunter on most points, especially taping off everything! My plan is nearly the same...strip everything off to bare stock, wipe down with alcohol to remove oils, tape off every screw hole, inset, etc, etc. and go for it! I've used primer on some and not on others and gotten great results both ways. One thing to keep in mind is going for a lighter color the dark stock could make your paint color darker, using a white primer with light colors gives a bit better result. The first couple I painted were camo but the last one I used Krylon fine stone texture paint. I used the tan color and the texture is a huge improvement over the smooth factory finish. I use a neoprene shell holder on the stock so there is no issue with the rough texture on my cheek and recoil. As for removing the paint, get it right the first time. I decided the first rifle I did I wanted to change about 6 months later. You're looking at sandpaper or acetone. Not wanting to damage the plastic with acetone I went with sandpaper and took the majority off, then reprimed and repainted. For stencils some of the best I found are pampas grass...a bundle of the grass rubber-banded and a couple of the flowers makes some neat patterns. Lots of pattern ideas online as well. Good luck!

if you need to get the paint off I used some sort of citrus paint remover that's safe for plastics. you spray or paste it on and let sit for 2 hours and come back with a plastic scraper and go to town. I had some running that I couldn't cover up so I sprayed it with this paint remover and 2 hours later it pealed right off.

do not use acetone or anything of the sort because your stock will magically disappear once applied.

Pyscodog painted up a stock last year in a Kryptek mimic pattern. Looked really sharp. Maybe he will post a pic !! One of the better do it yourself jobs I have seen.

Do not skip the clear coat. I did and then hunted on a day when we got 3 inches of rain in a couple of hours. I call that rifle ugly betty now.

Nate, what flavors of camo can you get, or do you keep on-hand?

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishSend it to me. I can dip it for you

Pm me if interested and we can talk it over. I do t require a first born as payment either lol

The stock is already tan right? just sponge on the colors of your choice. Use a sponge with large holes, test on some card board or what ever, and go for it. you will soon want to paint everything.

I have done that. I have done the painters tape stencils for woodland camo as well. Just thought I might try something different for a change of pace. I am still in it cheaper than the Manners stocks that I put on all, I mean all, of my custom builds.

Originally Posted By: CARTER LAKE-SHARKThe stock is already tan right? just sponge on the colors of your choice. Use a sponge with large holes, test on some card board or what ever, and go for it. you will soon want to paint everything.

Back