.300 Win Mag versus .300 Remington Ultra Mag

Hi, I'm doing this purely for opinions of the forum and basically for fun I guess.

First, rules? No comparing availability of rifles chambered in the calibers. Very obvious the .300 Win Mag is more popular. No comparing FACTORY loaded ammunition, obviously there is a ton more choices for factory ammo for .300 Win Mag. Comparing reload options is great though.

Basically I'd like people who have one or the other to explain the advantages for long range shooting, hunting, and accuracy of the caliber itself. I've heard brass life from .300 RUM is awful so let's hear about that also. It would be great if someone who has both would drop in.

Thanks and let's keep it civil, sometimes these caliber debates get nasty (.270 Win vs .30-06 Springfield is a good one haha)

Jaycob.

I have owned both for several years.

The extra horsepower in the RUM case is worth it for extreme long range shooting, the difference really reveals itself when you stuff in the larger bullets with super high BC's without sacrificing as much velocity. Getting 215 VLD's over 2950fps can be a challenge in the WM, the RUM gets there in street shoes.

Kinda a pain in the @ss building rifles around the RUM, single loading isn't for everyone, so I focused on 3.6" max COAL for feeding, which takes away some advantage of the RUM. The 300WM and RUM are on the same action length, so a guy can run 300WM seated as long as they want (throated appropriately). If you're happy with 3.6", then great.

Brass life, for me at least, has been about the same for either. The primer pocket issue for the RUM has been a red herring for me when the same brand of brass is used for either, which I attribute to the fact both operate the same pressure. HOWEVER, better brass is available for the WM than the RUM - VERY VERY VERY hard for me to ignore that fact.

I have a Rem 700 action with a mag bolt face I may build into a RUM, but I currently HUNT with a WM.

Wow I figured it would take longer for someone with both to comment haha. Thanks for commenting man. I like hearing the opinions on calibers from different people. I always like reading your comments, always detailed and thorough.

I don't own and have never shot a 300 RUM. I have owned and shot many 300 WM. The WM for me is my tolerance level for recoil if I'm going to go out and shoot 20-30 rds in a day. I suspect the RUM is well beyond that level.

Originally Posted By: skb2706I don't own and have never shot a 300 RUM. I have owned and shot many 300 WM. The WM for me is my tolerance level for recoil if I'm going to go out and shoot 20-30 rds in a day. I suspect the RUM is well beyond that level. Same for me, but I've heard that .300 RUM can be brutal.

Recoil can always be mitigated - add some rifle weight, a better recoil pad, or a muzzle brake and a lot more recoil than 300RUM can be tolerated.

Add a pound to a pound and a half to the rifle and the 300RUM will recoil the same as the 300WM. Throw a break on a RUM, and the weight isn't even needed.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorRecoil can always be mitigated - add some rifle weight, a better recoil pad, or a muzzle brake and a lot more recoil than 300RUM can be tolerated.

Add a pound to a pound and a half to the rifle and the 300RUM will recoil the same as the 300WM. Throw a break on a RUM, and the weight isn't even needed. Oh I completely agree, I was just saying that it "can" be brutal. Maybe I should have emphasized on the "can" part. My bad.

The 300 WM is more recoil than I like. That said I can handle both with a good muzzle break.
I shot a friends 300 RUM Imp a while back. It is some serious LR horse power !
wub.gif

Never have owned a WM so no experience there..

I do shoot some what of a 300 RUM, it is just a improved version!

IMO the Volocity gain from the RUM is the only way to play the long range game... Not saying you cant do it with the WM!

I don't think you will buy factory ammo for either one that i would consider a long range round.

Sense we are not comparing factory rifles!! You can Mag feed longer rounds thru the RUM, This is what i run thru mine out of the mag with the 210gr VLD, 3245fps, 18.6 moa @ 1000yds

Brass for the RUM can be difficult to come by which is not the case for the WM, (Lapua will NEVER make RUM either) But Remington brass holds up pretty dang good in the RUM, when I built mine I could not find any Remington brass so i opted for Nosler and it has really served me well, so far primer pockets are still tight but i know it can be a issue..

As far as recoil goes with a good break the recoil of the RUM is minut...

As far as accuracy goes it can be good...

Hey Reddog, which bottom metal are you running? I wanna stretch out my RUM as a repeater, looks like you're feeding 3.7" coals. How much is the Imp worth in the RUM - looks like 150-200fps?

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorHey Reddog, which bottom metal are you running? I wanna stretch out my RUM as a repeater, looks like you're feeding 3.7" coals. How much is the Imp worth in the RUM - looks like 150-200fps?

I'm running the wyatt's Extended box with the Oberndorf bottom metal from PT&G, Very nice Bottom Metal
wink.gif

I can actually load it longer but the reamer is throated for this length and it's .015 off the lands.. The load I am running is actually pretty mild, I've had it up to about 3450fps with a different powder but its tough on brass more so...

I have a bad akin to give some RL26 and the 230gr a shot after all my brass is fire formed.. I'm running a 10 twist 3 groove Lilja so i should be GTG....

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThe 300 WM is more recoil than I like. That said I can handle both with a good muzzle break.
I shot a friends 300 RUM Imp a while back. It is some serious LR horse power !
wub.gif

That was a seriously great day
wink.gif
We need to do it again this coming year!!! We should see if we can make payments for the trip in advance... LOL

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorHey Reddog, which bottom metal are you running? I wanna stretch out my RUM as a repeater, looks like you're feeding 3.7" coals. How much is the Imp worth in the RUM - looks like 150-200fps?

Pressure being equal, 50 FPS is the typical gain and sometimes not even that.

The RUM case has very little taper and even going to a 35 or 40 degree shoulder only yields about 4 water grains increase in case capacity.

From a middle of the road perspective, I would go RUM. I have a 300wm and have shot a couple of more. I do have a couple of 300wea. My brain says that if you want a fast 30 then you should get a remington or a custom. They will allow you a whole lot more options to set it up for long range.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: VarminterrorHey Reddog, which bottom metal are you running? I wanna stretch out my RUM as a repeater, looks like you're feeding 3.7" coals. How much is the Imp worth in the RUM - looks like 150-200fps?

Pressure being equal, 50 FPS is the typical gain and sometimes not even that.

The RUM case has very little taper and even going to a 35 or 40 degree shoulder only yields about 4 water grains increase in case capacity.

I don't have any cases to measure capacity with a 35 or 40deg shoulder, Rem factory case has 110.5 gr, fired formed is 118.5 grs.. Nosler factory is 108 grs and FF is 116 grs. which is pretty much a 8 gr increase for the two brand of cases that i use. that being said my chamber has a 50deg shoulder with .010 taper which the standard RUM case has about .020 taper.

Originally Posted By: BeluebowI HAD (heavy on the had) a 8lb 300RUM with no brake...that mother sticker was BRUTAL!

They can be... but so can the WM!

With the right Break, Butt Pad and Stock there not any worse that a 30-06 IMO anyways... There are some people that are recoil sensitive though! There's a few on here that have shot mine maybe they will chime in on there thoughts about the recoil!!!

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksFrom a middle of the road perspective, I would go RUM. I have a 300wm and have shot a couple of more. I do have a couple of 300wea. My brain says that if you want a fast 30 then you should get a remington or a custom. They will allow you a whole lot more options to set it up for long range.

Totally agree..

At one time i HAD a 300 weatherby and a 7 mag and they were both pretty heavy on the recoil especially the 300!!! IMO its the stock design...JMO though

I shot it and I don't care much for recoil. To be honest, I was scared the first time I flipped the saftey !
scared.gif
After I launched the first one, I was like THAT'S IT ? !!!
w00t.gif
I want to shoot it again !
thumbup.gif

The Game Scout and Shrewd brake,put a serious damper on the recoil. I've shot 30-06's that kicked more.

I drooled on myself on the plane ride home, lusting to have one.
lol.gif

Back