Best Scope For Night Hunting

Obviously some scopes are better then others, clarity, distance, adjustability, ability to reset accurately. What I'm wondering is what scope have you found best for night hunting? I've used BSA, and Simmons both of which are cheapo brands but I like the BSA a lot better, but I want one that works even better. My price range is about $400, but if need be I can adjust and not let the wife know.

So tell me! What scope do you like best for night hunting with a light?

Thanks, Jaycob

Spend as much as you can. You get what you pay for in optics.

That being said let me give you MY opinion which you can agree with or not. You do not need a large objective on your scope. Large objectives do not gather light - they are not funnels, this is an advertising gimmick. Scopes transmit light and the number of lenses and the coatings determines how much light makes it to the eye. A big monster objective will not necessarily guarantee you more light transmission.

Objective lenses determine the size of the scopes exit pupil. Exit pupil matters most when shooting in low light. What is the easiest way to increase exit pupil? Turn down the magnification. You want between 4-5 mm exit pupil in low light. How do you figure exit pupil size? Example - Leupold 2.5-8 X 36 scope. 36/2.6 ( actual magnification ) = 13.8mm exit pupil or 36/7.8 ( actual magnification ) = 4.6mm. This would be a good scope for low light work at both low and high magnification.

Another thing to keep in mind is that image quality is better in smaller objective scopes. Example - If you take two scopes that are mechanically identical with the only difference being objective size the smaller objective will have better image quality because it bends / corrects the light less aggressively. This is why the high end, high magnification scopes are so expensive. They go with more lenses and or coatings to keep the image quality good. You get what you pay for.

I have never night hunted so I am not sure exactly what your needs will be as far as magnification but if I was to try it I would start how with a quality low magnification variable. I do big game and coyote hunt so I do have experience with low light. Most of my big game rifles have Leupold VX3's or VX6's with 36-44mm objectives and they do just fine in low light. My coyote rig has a Swarovski Z6 2.5-15 x 44 ( stays on 2.5-6X most of the time )and it also excels in low light.

Keep in mind you do not need a 30mm scope. Scope tube size has nothing to do with light transmission. You get more elevation and windage adjustment only. I hope this has helped you.

In your price range the best scope I've used in low light is the Meopta MeoPro followed by Zeiss Conquest and then VX-3. YMMV.

The reticle is often overlooked by many people. If the reticle is too thin you won't be able to see it in low light or darkness. I prefer the German #4. Again, YMMV.

I've tested several brands and models of scopes for low light performance, my leupold vx3s performed really poorly in low light. Even against scopes costing half as much.

Vortex Crossfire II 3-12x56 AO
Hog Hunter Scope
V-Brite (MOA) Reticle | 30mm Tube
Illuminated dot in center of duplex reticles - adjustable brightness
UNCONDITIONAL FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY
$300 bucks

I love it !

Like others have said you don't need high power and in my opinion you don't need an illuminated ret. as your light will be bright enough to light up your target. If not using a light I would get the illuminated ret. for low light conditions.

Unlike "why", I really like my lighted ret. VX-r luepold. He is correct in saying that your gun light will be bright enough to see your crosshairs BUT for my 65yr old eyes (been wearing glasses for 59 of those years) the "firedot" makes me not have to look for the "X".

Originally Posted By: jakellyI've tested several brands and models of scopes for low light performance, my leupold vx3s performed really poorly in low light. Even against scopes costing half as much.

Must be your eyes, or your wallet.

Never had a problem with any Leupold in low light.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: jakellyI've tested several brands and models of scopes for low light performance, my leupold vx3s performed really poorly in low light. Even against scopes costing half as much.

+1

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickVortex Crossfire II 3-12x56 AO
Hog Hunter Scope
V-Brite (MOA) Reticle | 30mm Tube
Illuminated dot in center of duplex reticles - adjustable brightness
UNCONDITIONAL FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY
$300 bucks

I love it !

I guess everyone's eyes are different because for me the Crossfire is about the worst scope in low light I've ever looked through.

You might consider looking on ebay for something lightly used. A bushnell 4200 with fire fly could be a good choice. I just got a 2.5-10 for 180 shipped.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunternight hunted for 40plus years and fixed power are the best for brightness

Yes. Variables have more lenses, therefore poorer light transmission.

The OP said within 100 yards. This begs a low fixed power scope, perhaps a 4X.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: jakellyI've tested several brands and models of scopes for low light performance, my leupold vx3s performed really poorly in low light. Even against scopes costing half as much.

Have you tested them in low light versus comparable scopes?

I also never had a problem in dawn to dusk hunting situations with my Leupold VX3s, however I never had a problem with my 3-12 Japanese Tasco either.

Back