wilson case gage question

dan158

I just recieved wilson 204r case gage.. This is the standard one without any adjustments.. I just checked 20 rounds of once fired brass and they fit right into the gage without protruding... What does that mean? Do I only have to neck size my brass then?? This is for my AR.. Thank you.. Dan

wilson makes headspace gauges... all they measure is that the shoulder isnt pushed too far forward or back. I bet if you tried it in an ammo gauge (like a sheridan engineering if they made one for 204ruger) that they'd bind up and not seat all the way.

the general rule for AR's for feeding reliability is that you should full length resize.

I thought if my brass fit in the gauge it would fit in any chamber for that caliber...In my bolt action the bolt is stiff to close..

Originally Posted By: Plant.One...the general rule for AR's for feeding reliability is that you should full length resize...
Agree.

My shoot'n buddy takes it one step further and uses full length small base dies for his semi-auto rifles.
I haven't seen the need for small base dies, but do inspect the brass carefully anyway, including Whidden headspace gauges.

wilson gauges arent ammo gauges (like the sheridan's i mentioned are).

brass (and ammo) that will pass a sheridan gauge will pass in a wilson gauge.

brass that will pass a wison gauge may or may not pass a sheridan gauge.

Sheridan ammo gauges are cut to SAAMI minimum chamber spec. Wilson gauges are cut for headspace check, but as i understand it the body diameter is cut larger to allow for expanded (fired) cases to seat into the gauge to verify the headspace of said fired brass without using a comparator.

rarely will you be able to put a piece of fired brass into a sheridan ammo gauge and have it not fail, and even some resized brass will fail as well, due to the much tighter tolerances. i had a batch of brass that some was failing due to being out of round (in the body) due to shipping damage. once i resized it through my dies it "plunked" just fine into the sheridan.

Back