(P0P) goes the Cherry

Infidel 762

Staff member
Most of the places I hunt are used, trashy and talk is cheap. However I just got access to other lands. Supposedly virgin un-called Oklahoma crop land. I tried to memorize the aerial imagery of this particular area and surrounding tracts. A cumulous overview revealed symmetrical crop circles splitting sporadic pockets of cover.

By Friday afternoon a rainy front had just passed. I arrived with only a cloud's perspective on unfamiliar ground. I pulled up to a gate and crawled over. I used the tree line along a small stream as defilade. One could see green leafy reflections atop still waters;

I continued using the stream bed to stay low on my approach to deflower this virgin. Second stand and (P0P) goes the cherry;

It's morning and shadow changes to light. Thermals ascend over tiny black spores that rise out of decay;

Sometimes getting a new perspective is as simple as putting your head closer to the ground;

Despite the decay and yesterday's cherry blast, this particular spot still had that virgin feel. At least until my arrival;

I set up on a fence line that shot down my ten o'clock, my scent carried out over an open field. Rifle oriented to my twelve with intentions of trying to call them into the brushy draw in front of me. Shortly into the set a turkey runs into the open field that held my scent. The turkey's body language was alert so I re-orientated my rifle to the ten. Then here she came, out into the open field throwing caution to the wind;

As reckless as she came out into the open, I believe she has never been called;

4 July 2016

Called in a pair at last light. After the second shot I just kinda sat there. Puffed on an e-cig as I stared off into the distance. Watched the small Podunk town of Okeene shoot off fireworks a few miles away. Thought to myself; We are each our own inventions, given a blank canvas at birth;

As light faded I went down to retrieve the dead. The female had mange patterns where she nursed young;

Only hunted dusk and dawn. Savory and long methodical stands as opposed to a higher quantity of short stands, burning through the area in one day. A war of attrition as opposed to storming the beach. Coyotes are kinda like insurgents and I see a long campaign ahead;

I know for certain I'm not out here looking for religion nor reason, plenty of both to go around. More than our species are willing to pick up. But like the sensation described in one inadequate word; I just don't know.. I don't know how or why. I just know that I don't know..

I did however pop that cherry..

crazy.gif
crazy.gif

It might be wise for a fella to walk carefully through that area. O'Keene was the place with the annual rattlesnake roundup. Not sure if they still do it or not. I went a couple of times in the 70's and they had massive hauls. A friend showed me how to gas them out of dens and they bought them from the hunters by the pound. The town would block off the main drag sell cold watermelon and lots of beer. They skinned snakes, fried the meat and held the Miss Rattlesnake contest. Afterward followed a wild time with a band and dancing in the streets. In those days at least the surrounding area was thick with buzzworms.

Thanks all

Originally Posted By: hm1996Way to go, Jeremy. Interesting layout, should pay lucrative dividends.

Regards,
hm

Clarence,

Wonder how it would look in five years of humans ceasing to exist..

I'm sure nature could erase those straight lines and circles..

Originally Posted By: azmastablastaIt might be wise for a fella to walk carefully through that area. O'Keene was the place with the annual rattlesnake roundup. Not sure if they still do it or not. I went a couple of times in the 70's and they had massive hauls. A friend showed me how to gas them out of dens and they bought them from the hunters by the pound. The town would block off the main drag sell cold watermelon and lots of beer. They skinned snakes, fried the meat and held the Miss Rattlesnake contest. Afterward followed a wild time with a band and dancing in the streets. In those days at least the surrounding area was thick with buzzworms.

Lyle,

Ohh yeah, they still have the rattlesnake hunt. Seemed a lot bigger when I was a kid.. as a teen I remember throwing up on the sidewalk after dark, I think it was Jim Beam seven year old.. Thought I was in love with this skinny-pale girl with jet black hair and freckles. I had long hair and my definition of love was a couple who holds one another's hair back while the other puked.. Didn't matter if it was the porcelain God or country road just help me hold on to the ground; if that's not love, well it was good enough for me, back then..

My how things change.. Same roads.. Same stars.. Same smells..Sometimes even the same music.. I just can't find the way back to being young and not giving a [beeep]..

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762

Jeremy, your pictures and stories are always a breath of fresh air. It is obvious that it is not just the hunt; you become one w/nature when in the field. I, for one, always reach the end of your story with same feeling that I have when the sun sets on the last day of a hunt.....all too soon....with a certain amount of sadness, yet the hope and anticipation of the next opportunity to get back in the "brush". Thank you for sharing your experiences and great pictures of the tiniest details encountered on your hunts.

I always marvel at the infinite numbers and types of flora and fauna God has chosen to populate even the tiniest corner of His great creation, running the gamut from the plain, yet beautiful mushrooms pictured above to the dark, to the rarely seen, elegant variant pictured below.......and that is just one species.

34849199753_5d93b6da93_c.jpg

35658925215_e44fe23c91_c.jpg

34849199743_c10562e960_c.jpg

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: Infidel 762

Jeremy, your pictures and stories are always a breath of fresh air. It is obvious that it is not just the hunt; you become one w/nature when in the field. I, for one, always reach the end of your story with same feeling that I have when the sun sets on the last day of a hunt.....all too soon....with a certain amount of sadness, yet the hope and anticipation of the next opportunity to get back in the "brush". Thank you for sharing your experiences and great pictures of the tiniest details encountered on your hunts.

I always marvel at the infinite numbers and types of flora and fauna God has chosen to populate even the tiniest corner of His great creation, running the gamut from the plain, yet beautiful mushrooms pictured above to the dark, to the rarely seen, elegant variant pictured below.......and that is just one species.

Regards,
hm

You notice the small things too. Guess I'm not the only one walked around armed and taking pictures of mushrooms.. You are blessed to have access to that ranch with exotics.. I know Margarets your priority but she wants you out enjoying the outdoors..

Bobby,

I don't think you want to eat these mushrooms.. They have no medicinal, spiritual or nutritional value
tongue_smilie.gif

Quote: Guess I'm not the only one walked around armed and taking pictures of mushrooms..

Yep, ya gotta really watch them mushrooms, but one thing's for sure, Jeremy, in the unlikely event that either of us were to be attacked by one, we shall surely prevail!
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Back