This, May Be A Longshot But......

elalto

Hey All,

I am just about finished with my 1885 Winchester Low Wall in .17 Ackley Hornet, just rust blueing left to do. I would like to load up some ammo for it and need some load data. I would like to find a couple of loads for fire forming and a few for hunting. Do any of you remember loads from before Hornady came out with their Hornet?

Thanks in advance...

Originally Posted By: 6724i run 9 to 10gr of 1680 with 20gr bullets. it is my fireform load, and regular load.

any idea how fast those are running with those charges?

I hunted with fire form loads, Win brass, CCI BR4 primers

10.8g of AA1680

20g touching the lands

It was amazing how the BR4 primers improved the groups!

Later on, I found a powder that nobody uses, Vit N 110. I have never seen or heard of anyone shooting groups with a 17 Ackley hornet like I shot with this powder, and it was nothing short of amazing to say the least. I tried little gun, and blew primer pockets with the extreme spreads and day to day variations in pressure, both 4227's, and Win 680 or 1680 was a great performer.

When I learned of the N 110, the groups were as small as a guy could get with a 6 PPC, day in and day out. You could shoot ground squirrels in the head at 200 with the N110 with ease using a good scope.

Last edited:
Back