Leupold VX-3 or VX-6 ???

mejeremyb

I'm lookin at buyin either a VX-3 or a VX-6. What are the main differences? Which has the fastest eye box to get into? Clearity? Best low light transmission? And anything else that may be helpful. I'd appareciate all the help you guys can give me.

For the past several years I have steered clear of Leupold because I felt that the value wasn't there anymore. I gotta say though, these new VX-6 scopes are a home run. That 2-12x freaking rocks in that price range. Side by side there's no contest between the VX-3 to 6. As far as glass quality goes I'd say the VX-6 is equal to the zeiss conquest line or maybe even a tiny bit better. Also that 6x erector just sweetens the pot.

Originally Posted By: Captramrod01For the past several years I have steered clear of Leupold because I felt that the value wasn't there anymore. I gotta say though, these new VX-6 scopes are a home run. That 2-12x freaking rocks in that price range. Side by side there's no contest between the VX-3 to 6. As far as glass quality goes I'd say the VX-6 is equal to the zeiss conquest line or maybe even a tiny bit better. Also that 6x erector just sweetens the pot.

What he said.....
thumbup.gif
I have a VX-6 2-12x42 and it is one heck of a scope. And Leupold did it in a small package. It's not huge and unwieldy like so many other models. The illuminated reticle is also one great addition. I currently have that one on a Sauer 202 270 Win and as soon as the money is available I'll be ordering one for the AR-15.

The one huge improvement Leupold made in these scopes versus their old ones is in the field of view. I have a Swarovski Z6 2-12x50 and the Swarovski does have a larger FOV on the 2 power but the Leupold is very good. As the power range goes up the FOV is very close to the same size. That they have for all intents and purposes nearly matched Swarovskis technology is nothing short of impressive. And the comparable illuminated Swarovski is $3000. You're not getting that much better a scope to justify that kind of money.

The one complaint I've had with the VX-3 was the tunnel effect. Leupold has figured out how to eliminate the tunnel effect in the VX-6 2-12. I looked at the VX-6 3-18x50 at the Dallas Safari Club show and it's also very clean and very impressive. For the money I think Leupold has hit it out of the park for a change. Even the Leupold rep commented that they had turned a corner with the VX-6 models. They will be coming out with a 4-24 sometime but it's still in the experimental stages working out the bugs.

Also don't forget the CDS turret system that's available on these scopes. You order a top turret to correspond with the ballistics of your load and just turn to the yardage and you're there. Leupold has been giving you a coupon for the first one free and then $50 I think for additional turret caps.

How much improvement is the VX-6 glass over the VX-3? I have a VX-7 & they glass is really great (considering it came from Leupy). But then the VX-7's were ~$1500 & now the 6 is priced a $1000. With the added power erector, I just don't see how they could be making as good as optic at 2/3's the cost. I can't help but think the glass is VX-3 quality & they extra price is for zoom & illimination???

I havn't got a chance to play with any of the VX-6's yet. Any ecperience comments would be nice. The 2-12 seems like it would be the perfect calling scope...

Originally Posted By: coleridgeHow much improvement is the VX-6 glass over the VX-3? I have a VX-7 & they glass is really great (considering it came from Leupy). But then the VX-7's were ~$1500 & now the 6 is priced a $1000. With the added power erector, I just don't see how they could be making as good as optic at 2/3's the cost. I can't help but think the glass is VX-3 quality & they extra price is for zoom & illimination???

I havn't got a chance to play with any of the VX-6's yet. Any ecperience comments would be nice. The 2-12 seems like it would be the perfect calling scope...

I remember looking at the VX-7 in the store but decided it wasn't worth that much money so I never had one in the field where you could see what it was like. For that kind of money I could have a Swarovski Z5 and have money left over.

In my opinion the glass is brighter and crisper than the VX-3 glass was. I was very disappointed with the last 2-3 Vx-3s that I bought. So much so that I really didn't give Leupold another look until a friend of mine mentioned the VX-6 and said it looked good.

The market has gotten so competitive that prices are coming down on a lot of the medium priced scopes. I would suspect that the technology to do things such as the VX-7 were higher when it came out and now might well be cheaper. Can't say for sure but we certainly see it in everything else. Zeiss with their new HD5 and Terra are putting out good scopes and keeping the prices down as well.

I'm sold on the 2-12. Wish I knew somebody local that had a VX-7 to compare but I don't.

The VX-7 was the best scope I have had. The optics are top notch, equal to my Swarovski or Nightforce and the way the turrets work, unscrew cap it pops up to make adjustments, no lost caps. Leave elevation turret up when hunting so I can adjust quickly when for long range shots.

Good information, although I've never looked thru a VX6, the VX3 is lacking in the eye relief dept. Seems very critical to be lined up on.

VX6 scopes are top notch. My only complaint is the reticle choices are limited but they are adding more slowly.

I have never had any tracking or mechanical issues with a VX3 and they sit on most of my big game rifles. The TS-X moa reticles are just awesome. Glass is good enough for my hunting uses.

I currently own / use Swarovski, zeiss, vortex, Leupold MK6 and Mk 8, swfa, weaver and S&B

I have owned NF and March also

To MY eyes S&B, MK6 and MK8 scopes have equal glass quality and are the best. Leupolds are lighter. NF and Vortex razor are equal but a step down in glass quality. Again, this is my eyes and I have had lasic surgery so my eyes can be sensitive to certain conditions. The only illuminated or red dot type reticle that does not star burst on me is the MK8 but that illumination is for night vision only and may be why it works for my eyes.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeHow much improvement is the VX-6 glass over the VX-3? I have a VX-7 & they glass is really great (considering it came from Leupy). But then the VX-7's were ~$1500 & now the 6 is priced a $1000. With the added power erector, I just don't see how they could be making as good as optic at 2/3's the cost. I can't help but think the glass is VX-3 quality & they extra price is for zoom & illimination???

I sell firearms and optics and look through Leupolds all the time. I also have a couple of VX-3's. The VX-6 blows it out of the water glass wise. I'm saving to get one.

I think they are both nice scopes but the vx6 is not worth the extra money thy charge if i was going to spin that kind of money again on a scope i would wait till i could afford an other minox it is far superior to both the vx3-vx6 my son bought on i for got the model but it was a little over 1500 at a gun show i was very very impressed with it

You should check out the docter v6 line of scopes in that price point. Awesome glass better than my z5, huge field of view, good illumination, good zoom range, plenty stout, 30 yr warranty, and good customer service, even if they are made in Germany.

You can find them at europtic, and right now they are 20% off.

Back