Bear calling help

Jonheson

Hi this last fall was the first time that we had a bear season the way the law's are about the only way we can get them is finding a nut trees that they are eating around or with mouth calls we can only hunt in the fall the land we hunt is strap Hill's with a lot of brush and cover was wondering if anyone that hunts in land like that what do you look for to setup and do you use calls like you would for fox coyote and bobcat or do you use something special for Bear

I've called in bears using fawn distress. Call load and proud and almost continuously. Bears loose interest easily if you stop calling. Bears also love water and if it is hot and dry don't overlook any waters they may be going to. Here in NM I have a small spring I have dug out and dammed where it holds about a foot of water. I am constantly getting pictures of bears laying in that small pool of water.

drscott

Calling works good , but like any calling it takes some time in to figure it out.

drscott is right on the money with his advice.
I like calling because as long as you are calling they continue to come in. Stop and they stop, it only takes a couple minutes and they lose focus and are on to the 'next best thing'.

This indecision gives you a chance to look them over for size and fur condition and cubs.Often a sow will have cubs and you won't see them immediately.It is illegal in some places to shoot a cub or a sow with cubs.

Some areas I hunt are farmlands where they grow Canola, oats, barley, etc.Unless you have a canola in distress call, it's tough to move the buggers from a full table of food.

It may be the same in your area with all the nuts. The only nuts we have are all in the gov't and are not much of a worry to calling.The don't listen anyway.
grin.gif

Thanks boys I know a Fawn call was one of the main calls besides water holes is there any other kind of land marks to look for that they like the only one I have been able to find is to look for Hickey and Beach nut trees like we do for deer

I don't cold call for bears very often. I usually find some sign and setup. Grassy meadows or in my area there are lots of bush roads that they travel.I often find sign along creeks or river banks as well

So in may i was glassing a hillside, spotted a bear, blew the stalk. Long story short i ended up seeing 3 bears on that hillside that morning, crap everywhere, went in for another stalk on bear 3 and couldnt get close enough. So i stopped and sat down, started blowing a rabbit distress. After about 5 minutes or so i heard a little noise and a 4th bear was staring at me from 10 yards, had no idea that one was there. Snuck in behind me silent as a cat. If you know bears are around and youre calling, keep your ears open! Especially if youre the source of the sound, instead of an ecaller 50 yards from your position.

Last edited:
Back