What do you think of this....

Must have a trapline of hundreds or thousands of traps and must've had some help. I can't imagine picking up 49 coyotes plus resetting 49 traps in one day. In a 24 hour period that's catching 2 coyotes, killing 2 and resetting 2 traps every hour. In a 12 hour period that number doubles. That doesn't account for drive time, walking to traps or hauling coyotes back to the truck. Seems a little fishy to me but who knows. My guess is Canada!
scared.gif
scared.gif
scared.gif

Seems like I remember reading an article about one of the provinces wearing red as a safety color. But I drank a lot back then.

Originally Posted By: NGI_TOMMust have a trapline of hundreds or thousands of traps and must've had some help. I can't imagine picking up 49 coyotes plus resetting 49 traps in one day. In a 24 hour period that's catching 2 coyotes, killing 2 and resetting 2 traps every hour. In a 12 hour period that number doubles. That doesn't account for drive time, walking to traps or hauling coyotes back to the truck. Seems a little fishy to me but who knows. My guess is Canada!
scared.gif
scared.gif
scared.gif

Tom,
I ran traps years ago all over Cali, and NV, and like you said, I know how much time it takes to check a set, dispatch and re-set....and to do it 49 times in 1 day seems far fetched to me.....I agree with you, seems fishy....honestly, I dont think its possible.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: NGI_TOMMust have a trapline of hundreds or thousands of traps and must've had some help. I can't imagine picking up 49 coyotes plus resetting 49 traps in one day. In a 24 hour period that's catching 2 coyotes, killing 2 and resetting 2 traps every hour. In a 12 hour period that number doubles. That doesn't account for drive time, walking to traps or hauling coyotes back to the truck. Seems a little fishy to me but who knows. My guess is Canada!
scared.gif
scared.gif
scared.gif

Tom,
I ran traps years ago all over Cali, and NV, and like you said, I know how much time it takes to check a set, dispatch and re-set....and to do it 49 times in 1 day seems far fetched to me.....I agree with you, seems fishy....honestly, I dont think its possible. OMG! Stop "bro" you have no idea how to run a trap line...geez, stop portraying something your not! You even told me you have never hunted Nevada? What a joke! Google is a wonderful thing!!....lol

That's a pretty good day.

Setting traps is an art unto itself. The big fur guys can re-make a set in a matter of minutes and move on. It would appear he had a long day and a lot of skinning ahead of him.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: NGI_TOMMust have a trapline of hundreds or thousands of traps and must've had some help. I can't imagine picking up 49 coyotes plus resetting 49 traps in one day. In a 24 hour period that's catching 2 coyotes, killing 2 and resetting 2 traps every hour. In a 12 hour period that number doubles. That doesn't account for drive time, walking to traps or hauling coyotes back to the truck. Seems a little fishy to me but who knows. My guess is Canada!
scared.gif
scared.gif
scared.gif

Tom,
I ran traps years ago all over Cali, and NV, and like you said, I know how much time it takes to check a set, dispatch and re-set....and to do it 49 times in 1 day seems far fetched to me.....I agree with you, seems fishy....honestly, I dont think its possible. OMG! Stop "bro" you have no idea how to run a trap line...geez, stop portraying something your not! You even told me you have never hunted Nevada? What a joke! Google is a wonderful thing!!....lol
I believe leg hold traps have been illegal in ca for over 15 years.
I hope he is not making stuff up to impress people maybe he trapped with his father when he was a kid ??

Don't know the guy and not trying to defend him but I have seen pictures of his setups and believe it's possible. You first have to have a tremendous coyote density which he apparently has. He uses huge piles of bait. He typically places the bait in the middle of clumps of trees and or brush where there naturally is or he makes maybe 5-6 access trails to bait pile. With 5 trails and 2 snares per trail, you have the potential of 10 catches per bait pile. Most of time he gets only 2-3 per pile but enough bait piles and a whole lot of luck it's possible maybe once or twice a life time to get 49 in a day, did he? Don't know, but do give him the benefit of the doubt

I believe him. Just watched his video review of his 2015/16 season. He ran 3 different "loops" of 25 bait piles 2 miles apart, 6-9 snares on each pile. He does one "loop" at a time it sounds like. Had a pre season goal of 1000. He says at the end he pulled up early after NFTA sent word that prices were going to bottom out. Ended up with 508.

Last edited:
I had a friend up in the Dakotas that would trap fox for a month, his wife would drive 12 hours a day and the local preacher the other twelve hours he would sleep between sets. He'd put 300 fox on the boards in a month. Everything went into the locker plant until after he pulled his traps. All the raccoon, mink and skunks would pay the gas and wages and he would clear $30,000, as much as he would make the other 11 months of the year as a carpenter.

It all depends on what you'll put out for your sport

Last edited:
I could see how this is possible with this kind of set-up. A good friend and mentor of mine, Garvin Young, once said, "just because you've never done it, doesn't mean it can't be done!" So true!

Originally Posted By: JeepyjerOriginally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: NGI_TOMMust have a trapline of hundreds or thousands of traps and must've had some help. I can't imagine picking up 49 coyotes plus resetting 49 traps in one day. In a 24 hour period that's catching 2 coyotes, killing 2 and resetting 2 traps every hour. In a 12 hour period that number doubles. That doesn't account for drive time, walking to traps or hauling coyotes back to the truck. Seems a little fishy to me but who knows. My guess is Canada!
scared.gif
scared.gif
scared.gif

Tom,
I believe leg hold traps have been illegal in ca for over 15 years.
I hope he is not making stuff up to impress people maybe he trapped with his father when he was a kid ??

NO need to impress anyone. Yes, I ran a trap line with my dad. I started as a young kid. When they outlawed leg holds, we started trapping cats and fox in cages here in Cali. Until a couple years ago, then they stopped that as well.

Originally Posted By: parsonDon't know the guy and not trying to defend him but I have seen pictures of his setups and believe it's possible. You first have to have a tremendous coyote density which he apparently has. He uses huge piles of bait. He typically places the bait in the middle of clumps of trees and or brush where there naturally is or he makes maybe 5-6 access trails to bait pile. With 5 trails and 2 snares per trail, you have the potential of 10 catches per bait pile. Most of time he gets only 2-3 per pile but enough bait piles and a whole lot of luck it's possible maybe once or twice a life time to get 49 in a day, did he? Don't know, but do give him the benefit of the doubt

I didnt watch his other vids. From what you are saying, I can see how it could be done.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: NGI_TOMMust have a trapline of hundreds or thousands of traps and must've had some help. I can't imagine picking up 49 coyotes plus resetting 49 traps in one day. In a 24 hour period that's catching 2 coyotes, killing 2 and resetting 2 traps every hour. In a 12 hour period that number doubles. That doesn't account for drive time, walking to traps or hauling coyotes back to the truck. Seems a little fishy to me but who knows. My guess is Canada!
scared.gif
scared.gif
scared.gif

Tom,

??????????

Back