Which light do you use for hunting at night?

I currently use the Wicked 403 series but was curious what you guys use. Also, what color do you use? I use red....However, I been watching some vids with guys using white lights and were doing really well using white lights. Also, Jeff Thomason on Predator Pursuit swears by using white. We have talked through fb, and he says he only uses white light and loves it. What do you guys think of using white light to call with? Ive only used red my whole life, but thinking of trying to switch to white.....

I have watched them shows as well. carnivore night crew uses either 3 or 6 landing lights on theirs, looks like day time. it is next to impossible for me to call coyotes into the open during the day. whereas you westerners can call them into the open all the time. I think white will work for you. white light does not work for me,i have called & killed lots of foxes,so I know the tricks,but coyotes do as well. I watched a coyote one night thru thermal, dodge truck lights that were 500 yards away. not once,but twice he ran to the same spot to avoid them. that is why I use thermal,& nv

We've been really pleased with the FOXPRO Fire Eyes light. The best part about it is you don't have to choose a color. It comes standard with red, white, amber and green all at the push of a button. We still use red most of the time but all colors work...

I use a CoyoteLight in red. I feel that enough guys have proven that white works great when using a dimmer so if I had it to do over again I would buy the Coyotelight in white.

Im thinking about going with a white light and giving it a try...if it spooks a few, I can always go back to red........green may be a good compromise between red and white?

I think it varies from one situation to another. A few years ago I was running behind on baling hay due to a flat tire. It was probably 10:30 P.M.or later. I was running eight halogen lights along with all the marker lights on the tractor and baler. I was lite up like a Christmas tree. Did a u-turn to start on another windrow only find a pack of five coyotes following along chowing down on the field mice. They stayed around long enough for me to get a shot at them with a pistol. Got coyote fever and missed at about 25-30 yards. They showed no real concern about the lights. But, by this time I had been in the immediate area for at least 11 hours. So there was probably some comfort factor there as my being a non threat. Also the prospect of a free mouse dinner may have caused them to throw caution to the wind.

I am about to order the Coyote Reaper by Predator Tactics. Beam can focus for longer shots and flood for less intensity. Easily interchangeable LED modules can get you from red to green or white in a matter of minutes. Kit comes with everything I need to mount the light and get going with it. I am upgrading from the Chinese knock-off that I have...tired of short battery life and inconsistency!

From our experience, we would never go back to red filming or just hunting for fun. Our numbers more than doubled when we made the switch to white and we've never looked back. [beeep], half the time uneducated Coyotes will take all the light we can put on them. Just have to try it for yourself and prove it will work for you as this game is all about confidence. Good luck

If your hunting in the north east stay with red. Jeff hunts in Texas and there white light works well but up here in the North East white light sends them running most of the time.

Chris, I know it works for you guys. I've seen it. But I also wonder if it has a lot to do with where you're hunting/filming. I assume you guys always have white lights on the horizon or in the distance no matter where you go. Not the case here. Most places I call at night have zero lights on the horizon. NONE! Any light where I am seems out of place to a coyote. Not so much the case in Texas, I would guess. Thoughts?

I have hunted the most remote places in Africa, Australia, Texas and I never even carried a red lens with me...That is how much I believe in the white. Will it spook coyotes? Yes. Will red spook them? Yes. Every animal has a different light tolerance. Usually within the first 5 seconds of seeing eyes, I can tell you if they are gonna be a player or not. Ive seen coyotes with a red light at 400 yards that flared immediately. Same with white. I just think the advantages you get with white far out weigh any negatives you can find. Just my opinion...

From our experience, "conditioning" or (coyotes getting used to seeing lights making it easier to call them to a white light) never had a direct impact on the way they reacted good or bad when hit with a light. Of corse, some areas they will get used to seeing lights more than others in more populated areas but to make the assumption that those coyotes will respond better to a white light in those areas may be a bit of a stretch (in my opinion). If anything, just understanding the nature of a coyote would make you question that logic just due to associating those readily seen lights with humans and danger. You can look at it both ways but from our experience, the ones that see the most lights are the hardest ones to get close and throw caution to the wind if that makes any sense?
Regardless, every coyote has his own personality that will vary from animal to animal based on the environment it's in and the experiences it has had in its life so conditioning can play a role but lights on the horizon in my cheap and humble opinion don't have anything to do with getting a coyote to you under a white light. For that matter, some of the ranches we've hunted in west Texas are some of the most desolate areas in the state with very little light and they act much more aggressive when trying to get to the call than they do here in north Texas and we hunt literally rite on the edge of towns with traffic and street lights all over the place.
No matter what, the one thing we do know to be a fact is CALLING a coyote under any color light and not getting it killed will greatly decrease the odds that coyote will keep coming the next time he gets hit with a light. I can assure you, that in itself will give a coyote a lifetime of education way greater than seeing lights on the horizon on a regular basis. You can take that to the bank. That's my two cents

A major benefit of red light is that other folks can't see it from miles away and report you for "poaching". You can't see a swinging red light even from a few hundred yards away unless the light is pointed directly at you.

Jeff and Chris, I highly value both of your opinions on this subject matter as you are both experts in this field. Thanks for taking time to share your expertise with me. I hope to share a stand with you both someday in the not so distant future!

Wow, great thread here guys. I have never hunted Yotes with any lights, just all passive with NODS of some sort.

As the late Pat Rogers always has stated, "Learning has Occurred". Thanks guys!

Vic

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGA major benefit of red light is that other folks can't see it from miles away and report you for "poaching". You can't see a swinging red light even from a few hundred yards away unless the light is pointed directly at you.

This^ X1000

When I first started night hunting it was with my dad. Back then most lights were made from aircraft landing lights. He would point the main beam in the sky and hunt with the halo. Once eyes were brought in close enough we'd burn em with the main beam. As said, on a dark night you'd see that beam in the sky for miles...but also back then there wasn't so many busy bodies around with cell phones calling the law on you.

I've used white, red, amber etc. Tried out alot of different things. My preference is white on a rheostat. Allows you to put out just enough light but you can also crank it up if you need more. I've had some guys have a hard time seeing an animal under red, especially if it's not looking at you giving you eye shine.

Great thread, guys. I appreciate all your input. Chris and Jeff, I highly respect your opinion in this field. Thanks so much for the input. Ill be buying a white light to try out and try to keep everyone posted real soon. I know one thing for a fact, it will fell foreign to this guy who never really ever thought of using a white light to call coyotes. Thanks, guys!

Back