trapping coyotes and bobcat in Oklahoma

trapper nate

Im going to be trapping coyotes and bobcat on a 6000 acer ranch I work on i have trapped a lot of coons and a few coyotes theres a lot of bobcats on this ranch any tips for trapping bobcat theres about 300 cows that roam the whole 6000 acers going to be using duke#4 offset traps

A number 4 is abit over kill for me, I would stick with a #2 they work great. And I dont know what set you are using but with bobcats visuals are good, feathers wings some sort. Look up clint locklear I believe it is trapping tv on youtube. He goes to s big ranch in Texas or Oklahoma and adc work and traps bobcats and yotes. In one episode they do alot of bobcat set ups all involved a wing of a turkey I do believe..

Yeah I had a coyote pull out of a #2 thats why I was thinking maybe going something a little bigger how long of chain do you use on bobcat traps?

Aright thanks hey how many trap do you think i should run on 6000 acers its a small mountain range in southern Oklahoma called the table tops theres about 400 acers of pasture land on the ranch the rest is oak forest and theres probably 30 good springs that feed all the ponds I have a small truck I can get anywhere I want to on the ranch and I know there's a lot of coyotes and bobcat I see the tracks and scat when im hunting hogs

That question may not be for me, Im still new at this myself, its more of a trap placement then quantity of traps. Get good sign set traps a lot of guys gang set, that is setting quite a few traps in just one area.. I have found the placement of a trap is more important then how many.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: trapper nateAright thanks hey how many trap do you think i should run on 6000 acers its a small mountain range in southern Oklahoma called the table tops theres about 400 acers of pasture land on the ranch the rest is oak forest and theres probably 30 good springs that feed all the ponds I have a small truck I can get anywhere I want to on the ranch and I know there's a lot of coyotes and bobcat I see the tracks and scat when im hunting hogs personally I always keep 3 dozen on hand. Not that I'll set all of them but if one goes down I replace it and keep on going. I'll work on it in the off season. Of all the years trapping, one thing I have learned is, 6 traps in the right spots can do more than 600 in the wrong spots.
+1 to what Shawn said ^^^

Last edited:
I run 50 out at all time them move when catch slows don't try and trap it all at once brake it up into sections so you don't have to cover so much country every day locklears cat collector is what I use and his boss dog for coyotes.flag cat set with feathers with good backing dirt hole and flat set for the coyotes

Trapping is a lot of fun but also a lot of work. Set on sign. If you're on target, you won't need very much flagging. Usually, flagging is just to get the cat in the area if you're not sure where to make your set or you're not sure where the cat is traveling. Try going to wal-mart or hobby lobby and get some googly eyes and put them at the back of one of your sets. The biggest Tom I've ever caught was on a walk through set with a tuft of a coon tail wrapped up in a piece of bailing wire and stuck in the ground where the piece of tail was about two inches off the ground. No flags or anything. I mostly use MB650's.

I also like flat sets for coyotes like azcatter said. A good cat gland lure works good on dogs. Also, Slim Pederson has some good cat trapping books and videos.

Buy Bob Wendt' bobcat and coyote DVD. Then go to trapperman.com and find the bobcat thread in the archives. Wendt's videos are taped in Kansas. It is money up front but will help with the learning curve.

Back