DiamondBack DB15 AR ?

Rusty Black

Guys im buying my first Ar.just don't know what to buy..im thinking 1,500 or less and maybe 300 too 400 on my optics.Ive looked for 2 wks now and cant decide..but I know a vortex 4x16 will sitting on top.What's your opinion on a db 15 .chrome lined 16 in barrel A2 flash,floating barrel and rail for 600.00,or have my gunsmith build one for 1500.dollars.Honestly is it any good to buy and maybe build around?

Last edited:
^^ to what those guys said.

for $1500 you can buy some very nice components AND the tools to assemble it yourself.

plan to spend around $150-$200 on tools to really have yourself setup for success. Its very easy to do with basic mechanical skills. thank you larry potterfield for the how to vids

if you're going to build one, i'd suggest a few main area's where you focus your $$ on

barrel - a good barrel is probably 75% (or more!) of the game when it comes to accuracy on an AR15 platform. This is probably the one area where $$ invested gives you the best return for your $$.

trigger - dont get mil-spec. there are dozens of quality aftermarket choies.

Bolt carrier group - this is a reliability issue. at least go with something mid-grade. cheap-cheap mil-spec ones are known to be hit and miss.

handguard - for accuracy reasons, a good free float handguard is important. be warned - this is one place where the weight bug can really bite you!

you can put extra $$ into a nice matched upper and lower, but many very respectable builds are based on fairly generic uppers and lowers. unless you're trying to build a 600-1000 yd rifle, you probably dont need a match grade billet upper and lower!

a forged upper & lower from someplace like AERO precision (or any other number of companies) should suit reasonably well for many AR builds.

an upgraded stock and pistol grip will also help make your build more comfortable to shoot. do note that there are "commercial" and "mil spec" dimension for buffer tubes - and the two dont cross over. so make sure that your buffer tube matches your stock choice.

likewise a (non adjustable) rifle stock & buffer tube assembly and a (6 position adjustable) carbine stock & buffer tube assembly - and their respective spring and buffers - are not mix and match.

everything else (your small parts) can probably just be "mil spec" and life would be ok.

HTH!

Good barrel first then trigger. After that find a forged receiver any stamp will do. Pick a style free float you like and you are set. Spend the rest on decent optics.

i thought i had seen one around here... so here's a free bump for another member...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...029#Post2971029

if you dont want to build an upper - thats a great way to get started, with either handguard its a good price.

buy a nicer than basic lower build kit from PSA like this one
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ctr-lower-build-kit-black.html

go visit your FFL and buy an anderson stripped lower w/ the forged trigger guard - should be in the $60-$70 range

that should get ya up and running for about $750-$850 (sans buying any tools, but the lower is quite simple - a cheap set of pin punches from anywhere, and an armorer's wrench, a small hammer and you're pooping in tall cotton), and then you've got a pile of cash left to buy optics and an aftermarket trigger of your choice, and still meet your $1500 budget.

hth

Last edited:
I wanted all the optic without going nuts for shooting coyotes in Texas and I have one on my 243 and love it also ,I'm 56 years old and need alittle more help and that size works for me.

Originally Posted By: MattkccWhy a 4x16 scope on a 16" carbine?

you can always run a 4-16x scope at 10x or 12x, but you can never run a 10x or 12x at 16x.

anyway - i have a 16" 223/5.56 upper that'll shoot sub half moa with its pet loads - and theres no way i could do that at 4x or 6x.

and there's no [beeep] way i could do this with my 16" LR308 at 565 yds without that 4.5x14 vx3 on it. i could barely see the bullseye at that distance at 14x and was wishing i had something closer to the 6.5-20 that i have on my 20" 308 upper.

and yes, that was a called flyer too - without the flyer the 4 shots grouped .341 MOA.
MldjDvo.jpg

Agree...I run Us optics on both of other rifles 4x16x40 and I can reach out and easy on my eyes.I ended up putting a 4x12x40 Vortex on my AR 556 and im good inside 250 yards is perfect. Anything farther and I'd have to have more power,I just want to make shots inside 200 yards with the AR..I hope to try and reload my bullets to get good accuracy out it.

The scope is for the shooter, not the optic. Varmint rifles often chase after small targets - a bit more magnification than that needed for a big game rifle is handy. Multiple Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50mm, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm and 4.5-30x50mm, Nightforce SHV 4.5-14x50 and NXS 5.5-20x56mm are riding on top of my "go-to" coyote rifles, most of which are AR's.

$1500 will build a dang nice AR, and put great optics on top. A guy should be able to build a dang good rifle with a custom barrel for about a grand. A mil-spec build, plus an AGB, float tube, great trigger, and custom barrel should take you to about $750-800, throw a few other bells and whistles and you'll get to about $1000-1200, and have something as good as anything on the shelf which runs $1500+.

Ok let me try this again if you want to shoot long range and small groups why not build a rifle rather then a carbine. When I first got my carbine the only scope I had was a 4x14 it made the gun top heavy and unbalanced. I got a 2x7 and kept it on for a couple of years and it was OK. I final got a Ultra Dot and now the gun gets taken out safe much more often.

just because you dont like it - or a combination of rifle/optic feels imbalanced to you - doesnt mean it doesn't work for others. sometimes someone only may have a carbine - so why discourage them from playing at more than typical carbine/red dot distances if they want to [edit]especially if the firearm is capable with higher magnification optics? [/edit]

thats the beauty of the AR world - and the variety of firearms accessories we have available to us in general - our guns can (and should!) be something different to everyone.

i'd compare it to the never ending chevy/ford debate, but honestly ford people deserve all the grief they get
grin.gif
grin.gif

Last edited:
Look on vtsupply.com
I found they have a very competitive price on all their parts. I'm waiting on my shipment from them. Between them and eBay I have 700 into my 20" rifle. I'm going to drop the extra 125 for a job soley buffer now

Back