How to get started making calls

I then use different gouges/shaping tools to get the shape I desire...

100_1019.jpg

and I start to finish the call....first by sanding through several grits of emery cloth...or cloth backed sand paper..

100_1020.jpg

And after finishing I have a turned call body....it is still not hollowed out, nor is it ready for a reed...but...

100_1022.jpg

I will continue next time with fitting/tuning reeds etc. if there is enough interest....

Hope this helps.

Joe

Yes Micah....1 1/2 inches is good.......but I buy a lot of my wood in 6/4 or 7/4 so sometimes it is a little off the 1 1/2 in mark....so I measure and rip the width to match the thickness....

Joe

Quote:
I will continue next time with fitting/tuning reeds etc. if there is enough interest....

Defianantly enough intrest from me anyway. I can't say whether or not I will ever try doing it for myself, but it is very interesting to see how some of you guys go about turning these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I look forward to any instructions on fitting and tuning reeds as well as hollowing the calls out.
Thanks for the action pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Micah

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gifGreat info ArkyYoter please keep it coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif My head is like a spunge and I am soaking it all up.

Lights

Hey guys I'm new here and was wondering what kind of lathe works best? Can a cheap one from Habor Frieght work or do I need something alot better than that?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trapper1262, Welcome aboard. I just picked up a Wilton mini lathe at Menards for $80.00 on sale and it works just fine. Tony Tebbe and a couple others have Wilton's also. They are a good lathe for under 100 bucks. If I ever need more lathe it will be either a Delta or a Jet. Alot of guy's have and like the Jet.

See ya around,

I'm new here and was wondering where do you buy your supplies like Mylar reed material or metal reeds and brass rings from. Is there a call making supplies catalog.

WildBoar,allpredatorcalls,an advertiser on this board has call making supplies.Yellerdog,a custom call maker on this board,has some .14 mylar sheets for sale in the custom calls forum.Straycat

hey good to see you here buddy. Next time you have a chance to drop by I will give you some reeds and mylar.

I wish we had taken a picture of the call you made the other day! Real good job!

Keep em comming ARKY YOTER very intresting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Heck fire, the part about the fitting the reed is the part that I was really looking forward to. I kinda figured out how to do the turning, but the reed fitting, that's something else. I was hoping to see some pics of the various parts.I am not even sure what to order. Have to take some calls apart to determine that I guess.

Dont take any calls apart, LOL If you are using a reed sleeve, then you will need a 9/32 hole. You glue the sleeve in and the reed slips in the sleeve. If you are just putting the reed in the call without a sleeve, you ned a 1/4 inch hole.

I will send you a PM on the reeds.

Al
THO Game Calls

Yeah! I agree!! Let's see the rest (of the story) Ha! Nice looking call!! Show us the majic of making the tone box and mylar reed - and tuning it!
Regards

Vermin

How do you hollow out the end? Where do most of you buy your wood blocks or tools? What tools do you use? Visiting Woodcrafts site there are so many tool choices.

Back