Sharpening fish hooks...

GC

Had some bass fishing lures with treble hooks that needed touched up. Broke out the Spyderco Sharpmaker for that chore. Stuck the grey/brown hones in the 40* slot on the base with the side with the slot in it ready for use. A few passes down each side and down the center of that slot and the hooks were sticky sharp! Went fishing Sunday morning and stuck several fish with ease. Stuck myself too when a fish gave a twist while I was unhooking it and the point of one of those trebles got me. How do you guys touch up your hooks?

It may not matter in fresh water but you can use a sharpie (magic marker) to coat after sharpening to prevent rust.

Originally Posted By: whyIt may not matter in fresh water but you can use a sharpie (magic marker) to coat after sharpening to prevent rust.

ive never used a sharpie for that, but rust is still a valid concern in FW too.

i love those boxes that have the vapor tabs in them, and i often find myself taping one inside box lids that dont have them in there already (like my fly boxes)

I seldom catch enough fish to actually dull a hook.....
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: RePeteI seldom catch enough fish to actually dull a hook.....
frown.gif

I sometimes catch stumps, logs, large rocks and assorted other junk.
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: RePeteI seldom catch enough fish to actually dull a hook.....
frown.gif

I sometimes catch stumps, logs, large rocks and assorted other junk.
w00t.gif

LOL......to quote a wise old friend of mine..."I'm a hunter that also fishes".....

I use a little 4 inch pocket round diamond sharpener. Throw it in the glove compartment on the boat or on the front deck. The one that I use is expensive. Almost 6 bucks at the tackle shop. Usually buy them in pairs.

Back