A Double on Coyotes from my patio....all while sitting in my lawn chair ...NOW thats a first!

Ive called and killed a lot of coyotes, but Sunday night was def a first for me.

My sister came over to spend the night at my house, and spend the next day with my wife. We were sitting in my living room at about 11:30 pm on Sun night, and we were all a lil bored. I told them I was going to step out on my back patio and howl for coyotes to see if I could get a response. (I live in the country) (I like hearing them)

I stepped out and howled and immediately had a response from 3 coyotes in 3 different locations around my house, 2 of which sounded to be within 300 yards of my house. I walked inside my house, turned off all the lights and asked my sister and wife if they wanted to shoot a coyote? Neither of them had ever shot a coyote so they said, "Yea, if we can shoot from the porch." (Def not die hard hunters)

We walked out on the patio in the dark and the girls sat in a patio chair and propped my tikka 22-250 up on its bipod in front of them.......

I started the stand with some coyote vocals. It was not long and we had a visitor. The first coyote came in to about 250 yards, and then I brought him a lil closer with a few different sounds.....at about 125 yards, he stopped and my wife squeezed off a round outta the tikka t3 and WHAP!!!! Perfect shot!! He went down. So proud!!

Then the rifle changed hands and it was my sister's turn. I kept calling & sure enough, another visitor. We worked this very old, wary coyote for 30 minutes to get him within range. I was about to give up, and FINALLY here he came.....My sister readied herself, and I finally got him to 200 yards. My sister squuuuueeeezzzzzeeddd the trigger, and BAM!!!! Down he went!!! A DOUBLE WITH MY SISTER AND WIFE!!! A first coyote for both of them, at night and together on the same stand!!! I was so pumped for them and very proud!!!.....calling coyotes to my patio while sitting in a lawn chair is def a first, and a DOUBLE to boot!!!! If you look close in the last pic, you can see the lights of my house.
smile.gif

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlYou made it sound so easy, WTG, great story !!

It was so easy on Sun night, it was sick....those girls have no idea how hard it can be, and Sun night SPOILED THEM....I told them that this dont happen like this, and dont get used to calling from a lawn chair on your porch lol....They said, "O ok....shrugged their shoulders and never thought no more about it." Im still thinking about it lol

Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerWTG You the Man !!! I am sure that you taught both ladies how to shoot correct? Well you definitely showed them how to call.

My dad taught my sister to shoot, just as he taught me many years ago...I taught my wife to shoot when we got married. She had never shot or hunted til she married me 7 months ago. She had been calling with me a few times, but never had the chance to shoot 1 until Sun night on the patio in her pajamas lol

Great story! Can't tell you how many times my wife has called me while I was coyote hunting miles from the house to let me know there was a coyote on my bait site behind the house. Just cant get her to try shooting guns. By the way, does you wife always let you out of the house dressed like that?

Originally Posted By: utah yoteGreat story! Can't tell you how many times my wife has called me while I was coyote hunting miles from the house to let me know there was a coyote on my bait site behind the house. Just cant get her to try shooting guns. By the way, does you wife always let you out of the house dressed like that?

Yep, I know what you mean. The next morning at 7 am, there was another yote in the yard. Lil buggers just hang around the house. We let him walk so we can call him another day.........Hey man, you gotta love this new camo line im starting lol ha....To be honest, we had just came in from church, and I had wore a suit to church and I was still in my suit when I called them in. I took off my suit jacket and slipped on my boots to keep stickers from getting in my socks when I went out into the pasture to get the yotes. lol...Looks a lil weird I know
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5spdGreat shooting from the girls, can't beat that and you didn't have to drive anyplace.

Yes, it made it real nice not to have to drive anywhere. That was def the most comfortable hunt Ive ever been on.....the only thing that I might would try next is bring my La-Z Boy recliner out on the patio and call from my recliner. lol haha

They must have not been light shy did you use the wicked light again .
I get them in the alfalfa field behind the house they normally will not come in do to my healer barking at them.

Originally Posted By: JeepyjerThey must have not been light shy did you use the wicked light again .
I get them in the alfalfa field behind the house they normally will not come in do to my healer barking at them.

Im the only guy that hunts around my house, its all private so they dont see any lights except when I hunt, and most of the coyotes that come in dont live to tell about it so not too many educated dogs. Yes, the wicked light is all I use. Primarily, because its legal to use here in Cali, and its one of the best lights I can use and stay within the law here.

That's classic. I've killed a decent number from the deck at my place, but I've certainly never called in a couple for my wife and sister!

Back