Gaining permission to call yotes on private land??!!

I am just curious how hard it is for you guys out there to gain permission to call coyotes on private land in your particular area? Im sure it could vary from place to place. In Cali, it has been VERY HARD. Ive called for a long time, and Ive had to work my butt off to get permission on what I have now. MOST ranchers will NOT let you call or hunt. Most are scared of being sued or scared youll leave a gait open or shoot a cow, and thats all due to stupid hunters doing irresponsible things and giving the rest of us a bad name and its hard to gain their trust. What about you? Is it tough in your area?

Back in the '80s when I was younger, (and able to help doing farm work), it was easier.
Many times, I would trade hunting for helping work cattle, stacking hay (back when a lot of guys still baled in small "square" bales), or fixing fences. Anything to aid the farmer/landowner.

Of course, it didn't mean that I didn't get told no, by a certain percentage of landowners.

In the '90s, it started getting a little more difficult, due to land changing hands & being bought by "town folk" wanting to move to the country.

Since the turn of the century, it has varied from year to year.
I've had guys give me permission one year...only to refuse the next year...only to have them grant it again the next year.

Being both a small farm owner and a predator hunter,I guess I can see a little of both sides.

First is liability. We carry a million dollars worth of liability insurance and we are probably not carrying enough. If someone gets hurt on your property, you are responsible. Period. Don't ask me how I know.

Destruction of property. You will not believe what some people will do if it doesn't belong to them. We and neighbors have had fences cut and gates destroyed.

Problems with poaching. Have found deer with the head cut off or just the antlers. It is almost impossible to get a poaching change to stick unless the Game Warden catches them in the act. Security camera footage is usually not admissible as evidence.

Theft of property is also an issue. When you have thousands of dollars worth of livestock pens come up missing and they are not visible from the highway, you get suspicious of anyone around your property.

All of the above have happened on our farm or one of our neighbors'. The land owners talk to each other. Trying to dodge all the problems nature and the federal government throws at us, you can start to understand why some farmers are reluctant to grant access to their land. It only takes a few incidents to make it financially unacceptable to grant access.

Having said all of this,it only takes a few people and a few incidents to turn off the land owners to granting access to their property. I too can remember as a young man having almost unlimited hunting properties available to me. Unfortunately modern ethics and morality (or the lack thereof) of a few have forced their closure to all of us. I know some of the states are setting up partnerships with land owners to help provide access to private land for hunting but it is a slow process.

Please don't get me wrong. I love hunting and want to see it flourish.
I'm just trying to give you a view from the other side of the fence.

Last edited:
+ 1 " Of course, it didn't mean that I didn't get told no, by a certain percentage of landowners.

In the '90s, it started getting a little more difficult, due to land changing hands & being bought by "town folk" wanting to move to the country.

Since the turn of the century, it has varied from year to year.
I've had guys give me permission one year...only to refuse the next year...only to have them grant it again the next year. "

Very well Said and described cani54.... Dont have any input for the whole 90s permission thing but when I Really got into it in 06/ 07 around Cntrl TX. Started off great; Helped my boss with a gorgeous chicken killer of a cat (my 1st ) which lead to multiple calls to his friends and neighbors.. Some property I Still have and some I have Lost and Regained access to throughout the months and years.

Just Please be Polite as possible; Tell'em you're Goal.. trying to save their pets/ livestock .. , be Honest, and present yourself in a Cordial manner Without question. Could be a Homerun with Numerous Prime Time country or the dreaded.. No, get outta here, or w.e. comes. Been on both sides with landowners but its Worth the legwork and Time when done Professional as can be.

+ 1 " Being both a small farm owner and a predator hunter,I guess I can see a little of both sides.

First is liability. We carry a million dollars worth of liability insurance and we are probably not carrying enough. If someone gets hurt on your property, you are responsible. Period. Don't ask me how I know.

Destruction of property. You will not believe what some people will do if it doesn't belong to them. We and neighbors have had fences cut and gates destroyed.

Problems with poaching. Have found deer with the head cut off or just the antlers. It is almost impossible to get a poaching change to stick unless the Game Warden catches them in the act. Security camera footage is usually not admissible as evidence.

Theft of property is also an issue. When you have thousands of dollars worth of livestock pens come up missing and they are not visible from the highway, you get suspicious of anyone around your property.

All of the above have happened on our farm or one of our neighbors'. The land owners talk to each other. Trying to dodge all the problems nature and the federal government throws at us, you can start to understand why some farmers are reluctant to grant access to their land. It only takes a few incidents to make it financially unacceptable to grant access.

Having said all of this,it only takes a few people and a few incidents to turn off the land owners to granting access to their property. "

Totally agreed with this standpoint as well, for I am the son of a Farmer. Seen him along with others go through the same B-$hit... Destruction . defacing of property, littering, the Whole gamut if you will.. Definitely a 2 way street from both parties-

Best of Luck to you Sir and Keep your head about ya. NeveR give Up! For Patience is a Virtue, and in Due Time good things will come your Way !!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
In this part of SC...for deer and turkey you can pretty much forget it unless you have networked some really good contacts. Hogs maybe, but probably not. Coyotes on the other hand, absolutely the easiest permission I have ever asked for. NO ONE hunts coyotes around this area so the hardest part of getting permission is explaining to them that YES I really am hunting coyotes and have zero interest in other animals on their land. After that I'm given gate keys, 24/7/365 access to farms and even big hunt clubs/leases. I have even had a few landowners offer to pay me for every coyote killed, which I decline of course.

To a lot of Ranchers around here expensive hunting leases are an integral part of their financial plan and they are expected by their bankers to have one executed. That is certainly not the case for all, but definitely for some.
That being said, I've been blessed with family and friends in the ag business with land and have never really just outright had to ask.
I admire those of you who do ask complete strangers though, I always hated sales.

Last edited:
I can certainly see the side of the rancher/farmer. We ran cows ourself for a long time, and I understand all the risk. I guess its just frustrating for me because Ive been hunting responsibly for a very long time, and not once have I ever cause ANY TROUBLE, or any problems at all. If anything, ive helped ranchers and farmers by doing work for those that I hunt for, and when i attempt to gain access to a new ranch and they say no because some idiot came in 3 years ago and did some stupid stuff, then you get thrown in the same pot as the idiot. I just wish there was a way to let ranchers know that you are not like the other idiots that have came in previous. There is a ranch, literally next door to my house that is probably 25,000 acres of prime coyote country, and NOBODY calls or hunts it, but the owner will not let me hunt it because she said she let other people and they cause nothing but trouble for her in the past, and now she lets no one hunt it. Ive even offered to pay her for the rights to coyote call the ranch, and she very politely, said no thanks. Man, that is hard to handle when I know Id never cause her a lick of trouble. You just have to keep trying I guess and not give up.

Getting permission to call and kill coyotes in normally not to hard here. I have had land owners stop and ask ME to come shoot them. BUT they want dead coyotes.
It is way easer to get permission when you have dead coyotes in your truck. OR parked on the side of the road skinning one.
A big chunk of land owners HAVE "Trappers" in there employment ( big ranches) I don't like to call those, very tuff to get any to come in and you look bad..

Quote: A big chunk of land owners HAVE "Trappers" in there employment ( big ranches) I don't like to call those, very tuff to get any to come in and you look bad..

Trappers definitely make it more difficult, but, I hunt three ranches that employ a retired state predator control trapper year 'round. The first year we shot either 36 or 39 coyotes depending on whether we use my count (36) or partner's count. I used the calendar year and he started counting Nov. 1 (opening day of deer season).

I believe there are a certain amount of coyotes that are educated to the trap and others are educated to the gun, so you can still fool a few no matter which you use. Having said that, I'm sure virgin territory would definitely be an advantage, though.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Have any of you guys ever bothered to get hunting and shooting insurance?? It's simple, the NRA has it and some companies also have it. If I make a mistake while "legally" hunting on someone's land like shooting a cow or my truck crashes though the gate and mows down 1/2 acre of corn, etc the insurance pays the farmer.

Once I got it it opened up a few more farms for me. I had some large cards printed up with all my personal info like my name, address, truck model and color and license plate number, home & cell phone numbers and at the bottom I said I was bonded and insuranced though (insurance company name)with the companies phone number. I give the card to the farmers who allow me to hunt their land.

I have had no trouble in my area. I had cards made up with my name and contact info. What vehicles I could be using ect. I hunt only at night. I explain that I only hunt coyotes, It is only me and possibly my sons, one of their friends/girlfriend, or one of my friends. But basically it is just me 90% of the time. I carry an alphabetized binder with google maps of the area so I can outline their ground, put there name and contact info. on lead in page to each section. I carry a separate contact book to initially write down contact info. I ask each person if they would like me to call/text each time before I come and if any homes are near where I am going in at night I stop and let them know who I am and what I am doing. Since I am doing this at night I try to get everyone I might effect info. I try to approach this as professionally as possible. Every one appreciates it and seems to help. Just a thought, I wonder if a guy carried a waiver absolving the land owner of all responsibility and each of you signed and dated it would be legal/binding. No one has expressed concern that way to me but is a good point to consider for the future. Might contact my lawyer on that to see what he says.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ky ColHave any of you guys ever bothered to get hunting and shooting insurance?? It's simple, the NRA has it and some companies also have it. If I make a mistake while "legally" hunting on someone's land like shooting a cow or my truck crashes though the gate and mows down 1/2 acre of corn, etc the insurance pays the farmer.

Once I got it it opened up a few more farms for me. I had some large cards printed up with all my personal info like my name, address, truck model and color and license plate number, home & cell phone numbers and at the bottom I said I was bonded and insuranced though (insurance company name)with the companies phone number. I give the card to the farmers who allow me to hunt their land.

Ive been looking for insurance like that. I didnt know NRA sold it...I had talked to other conventional companies about it and they looked at me like I was nuts..Ill be checking out the NRA insurance. Thanks for the info!!!

state farm offers a policy - but IIRC when i called on it, it was either $1 million or $2 million of coverage. way more than i was looking to purchase, and well outside what i was willing to budget.

they weren't able to offer a $100,000-$250,000 sized policy, or god forbid a $50K-$75k sized policy.

i may have to give the NRA a ring and see what they have to offer.

[edit] should have googled first.

https://mynrainsurance.com/insurance-products/liability-personal-firearms

Quote:WHEN YOU’RE COVERED

This coverage is designed to provide you up to $1 million in coverage for any unintentional injuries or damage you cause while:
Hunting or trapping on public or private land
Shooting in competitions
Shooting at private shooting ranges

WHAT’S COVERED

NRA Endorsed Personal Firearms Liability Insurance covers:
Costs that you are legally obligated to pay for injury or damage that happens while you’re using a firearm, air gun, bow and arrow, or trapping equipment
Most of your costs to defend against a lawsuit―in addition to the liability limit―even if the lawsuit is false

ANNUAL LIABILITY LIMIT OPTIONS AND COSTS

$100,000 combined single limit $47 per year
$250,000 combined single limit $67 per year
$500,000 combined single limit $100 per year
$1 million combined single limit $200 per year

thanks for the lead on the NRA stuff!

Last edited:
I find cattle ranches to be harder then farm land in my general area but a person has to keep on trying.
That nra insurance is a good thing to look into might help on getting on a place to hunt.

Don't forget to sign on for the free insurance. IIRC it is $2500 provided free so long as membership active, but you do have to register. Only really high dollar guns have to be listed by serial number; most are covered w/o listing.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Don't forget to sign on for the free insurance. IIRC it is $2500 provided free so long as membership active, but you do have to register. Only really high dollar guns have to be listed by serial number; most are covered w/o listing.

Regards,
hm

Awesome! I did not know that!!! Thanks!

Look at how much you will need, farmers and rangers KNOW what things cost. The more you can cover the better.

Also this is important.

When you buy NRA insurance tell them to send you the PAPERWORK showing that you DO have this insurance. This is the only way you will have something to show the landowners. The first time I bought the NRA insurance all I got was a email saying I was covered. I wanted something to show the landowners so I called NRA up and explained what I NEEDED.

Back