Awesome new torches for my annealer!

orkan

I have been historically unhappy with my torches I've run on my annealer. They always worked, but they just weren't super easy to adjust. Turns out there's a type of torch that solves that problem quite well! Super uniform flame and an infinitely adjustable valve. Not touchy at all like the other torches. I really like that there isn't a pencil tip in there that creates hot spots. It's just a nice uniform flame. I can't imagine a better type of flame for annealing.

Here's the torch on amazon: http://amzn.to/28YEu7n

4xdcIW6h.jpg

Maybe just a tiny bit faster. ... but I can't really quantify that at this point. If it's faster, its by a few tenths of a second to a half a second or so. It is the most uniform annealing I've ever seen however!

I have one of those torches(Bernzomatic JT539T), that I bought when annealing with a case holder and a drill. When I got my Bench-Source, I got these on their recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008ZA0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In case the link doesn't work - BernzOmatic Basic Use UL2317 Brass Pencil Flame Propane Torch Head

Great torches, for the Bench-Source, even with LP. Adjusting them isn't any different than the Bernzomatic JT539T...Takes a few minutes, by eyeball. I got anal on the first few adjustments, with precision measuring tools, but now I just set the height by eye, turn on the LP, and watch how the flames fight, and where it hits the test case, and call it good. Great annealing machine for speed and consistency.

Squeeze

Ok, now I feel like an idiot. The original torches I listed are discontinued, and this torch: http://amzn.to/29kzrS2

... is actually a LOT better!

It has a swivel, and push button ignition. It also is standard diameter head, so it slights right into my bench source without any fuss at all. Still a super uniform excellent flame. THIS is the torch to get for annealing folks.

xBGUDYHh.jpg

n3Rbmyqh.jpg

So I've been playing with this some more, and it seems like 2 of these torches is a waste. They are Soooooo hot. Today I ran a batch with 2 torches, and a batch with one torch. With 2 torches, I had them turned way down and I still had to reduce the cycle time to about 2 seconds. The excess heat really warms up my shell plate too. With a single torch, I can still run a 2 second dwell time if I open the torch wide open, but things seemed happiest at a 3 second dwell time and the torch about half way.

ei2TZpxl.jpg

T3CrRPml.jpg

Does this still throw off the usual orange flame, or just go straight to over annealed? I'm looking at upgrading my annealing gear, this looks like a start.

I'll run a batch for you if you want. Send em to:

Primal Rights, Inc
33 3rd St SE STE 101
Huron SD 57350

Include return shipping label, or we can charge you for return shipping.

Hey I assume thats you who did the primal rights annealing video. If so thanks very much! Its the only one I could find in hours of reading n watching videos that made simple sense on figuring out how to reach but not surpass the temp threshold.

I just bought a benchsource and also ordered 650/450 tempilaq on manu recommendations. I tried it experimenting in and out of the shoulder neck. What a mess is all i can say. The 450 for bottom case worked ok but now I know and never have to use the other 99% of my tempilaq. Your orange flame method seems like the only way to go.

I assume you did that video using pencil tips before posting the above with the blaster tips? I did my first batch of LC 223 last night following your method and very happy. My cases didnt come out with as pronounced color changes as yours did but my cases were tumbled to as shiny as they can get. I was a notch under where the orange flame would just start to poke up. Anyhow I am sure I did it fine but I am not happy with the torches i got. One throws a bit diff flame than the other. They are the cheaper version of mag-torch but best I could find locally.

So I want to order on line asap the latest and greatest torches to use with my 223 & 6.5 creed brass.

Is the one you recommended in this post still working well? need 2 or one? Or would I be better off using a better quality bernzomatic pencil tip for my smaller sized cases? thx for your or anyone else's input who is a member of the multi thousand case annealing club.

ps: The benchsource is a nicely built machine. For 550 bucks seems like he would have made a little alum chute to direct the dropped cases downwards and outwards?!! I am going to invent one. Also seems like the control panel would be better placed opposite the 2 burners as that seems like the best angle to watch the process and monitor the dropping cases? Esp if you are using bottles and dont want them interfering with your arms.

If you mean this one: ... then yes that was a vid that I did.
smile.gif
Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, I'm still using these torches: http://amzn.to/29kzrS2

Absolutely fantastic. I only need to run one instead of two, and annealing time is very short. Best torches I've found as of yet.

Originally Posted By: orkanIf you mean this one: ... then yes that was a vid that I did.
smile.gif
Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, I'm still using these torches: http://amzn.to/29kzrS2

Absolutely fantastic. I only need to run one instead of two, and annealing time is very short. Best torches I've found as of yet.

Thanks again. anyone want some free tempilaq? ha.
Do you think that one of those non pencil will work ok for small brass like 223 size? seems like it needs to do a few spins at least to get an even heat. Why do you feel the blaster tip is 'better' than 2 good bernzomatic pencil tips? time saver the factor for you?

Also I have an old retired friend who has a 221 fireball but cant afford this machine. So i said he is free to use mine. Do you know if this machine will work on small short cases without over heating the base?

oops i just read your first post..no hotspots with the new one you using.
I backed my pencil tip away about 1/2 in more than recommended for that reason when i was experimenting. the case dosent move for a little bit once it arrives in the spot on top of the spinner so i could see hot spot probs.

Last edited:
Back