Cougar hunting

DJ_Mack

Got my first mountain lions on camera and I am getting the itch to try my hand at getting one. Although in Washington it is illegal to hunt with dogs. Do you guys have a calling sequence you use for mountain lions? Any and all advice would be very helpful. Thank you very much!!!

I want to post the picture for you guys, but it is only allowing me to attach a url which is not what I want.

I'm certainly no expert on calling cougars but I have called and killed 3 of them over the course of my life. The first two were a long time ago when I lived in California. These were the years before the state lost its sanity and cougars were unprotected and legal to kill. Both of these cats responded to a Weems predator call in jackrabbit.

The last cougar was a few years ago. I was using a Foxpro FX5 playing Utah Jack. The cat came in within the first five minutes of the stand. As in all of the times I've called in a cougar I didn't expect to call one in although on the last one I did intentionally call in country that I suspected held cougars.

The first two that I called came in within the 15 minutes I generally call on a stand. Pure luck but I'll take it.

Last edited:
Back