Sow Nailed in Backyard

KAC SR-15 SBR barks @ 75 yards and two snackers drop dead!

KAC%20SBR6.jpg

Dat's sum good grilling there folks!
smile.gif

Have been after a dozen large hogs bulldozing my backyard 24/7/365 for the past few months, hunted them many times and have taken out afew the last couple of months.

This one started showing up at one of my feeders real late at night 3-4AM and we went out a couple of times to nail him at 12-4AM with no luck.

Here he shows up on the game cam at 10PM the night before last , so we decided to go out and target him last night:

Game%20Cam%20Hog.jpg

The dudes hoof prints are as big as my hand:

Hog%20Footprint.jpg

It had rained all day long from before sun-up to after sun-down, we've had 16 inches of rain in 14 days and pretty much flooded, hot as [beeep], and muggy as all get out.

Thermals were all mono-thermal with undefined washed out gray for all the inanimate background forest tree canopy and terrafirma, but that did not matter as I had the FLIR M-324 Pan-Tilt remote control thermal on my Honda Pioneer set to Insta-Alert and every living creature stood out like a sore thumb.

Honda%20Front.jpg

Came around a corner and could see two large red Insta-Alert heat signature with the FLIR M-324 Pan-Tilt down the forest trail about 3/4 mile ahead, tooled up another quarter of a mile and got out and hiked to the thermal signatures using the FLIR LS-XR the last half mile, so far they could be hogs or they could be deer?

Hiked in another quarter mile and ID'd them as hogs from 450 yards out, keep hiking in and positive ID at 300 yards was made.

Turned on the FLIR T-70 Clip-On in front of the ELCAN at 125 yards and put a 7.62X51mm 130 grain Barnes 3,000fps handloaded slug though his thoracic spine and he was DRT.

SIG%20Hog.jpg

When scoping him out in the thermal, did not know his size but he appeared to be 225-250 pounds, however, when we walked up on him he was a very large stout beast and 400 pounds!

SIG%20Hog2.jpg

Good thing I took the 7.62 instead of the the 5.56 or he would have gotten away wounded and we'd lost him in the rain:

SIG%20Hog%20Hondini.jpg

Dragged the beast back to the barn about a half-mile and strung him up to clean him out with the help of the front end loader on the tractor:

Dom%20Hog.jpg

That is one solid chuck of meat after removing all the viscera:

Cooler.jpg

140 Quart Deep Sea Cooler with no ice is completely full and weighs around 225-250 pounds.

The shot took about five minutes of stalking, that was the easy part, getting him home, strung up and cleaned out was a job.......

Just put another 200 pounds of ice on that hog, took the first 200 pounds just to chill him down.

Sure pays to have a 230V commercial ice maker and some good Cajun spices for the sausage grind!

Had a couple of large tree trunks topple over the forest road out back of house in the massive supercell thunderstorms we recently experienced. Decided to take the TLB out and chainsaw them up and clear the roads early in the morning to beat the heat.

Finished chainsawing up this huge tree across the road and was drinking some water to get rehydrated when I hear this huge HISS and find this staring at me from 15 feet away:

Gator.jpg

scared.gif

He was quite a ways away from the lake he must live in and was migrating through the forest underbrush I guess since it is gator mating season and they are roaring and roaming around looking for a mate.

Finished chopping up three more trees and clearing the road of branches and debris when I saw a sounder group of hogs crossing the road at 10AM in broad daylight about a hundred yards away.

Took my SIG P-229 with handloaded .357 SIG Hornady 90gr hollowpoints @ 1,550fps and ran down the road after the hogs.

Took two headshots at two running hogs @ 35 yards and DRT:

SIG%20357%20Two%20Pigs.jpg

Man, was that a blast full of fast hot action with the pistol!!!
thumbup.gif

Hog hunting with a handgun is always a challenge, especially at night under NODs.

My .357 SIG has a Crimson Trace IR laser in the grip that is simple and instant to use out to 200+ feet at night.

The Galco Miami Vice shoulder holster is a real nice keeping the weight on your chest instead of your hips and keeping the pistol handy for instant access when required.

Galco%20Miami%20Vice2.jpg

Out of curiosity, what would be general practice if one were to walk up on a gator like that? Obviously back away, but what if it charged (do they charge?)? Would that be a difficult encounter to explain?

It is illegal to molest or disturb them in any way or shoot them. On land like that they can out run a horse for 100 yards, so best to keep a good distance.

Shooting one in self defense probably would not work anyhow since being a reptile they have such a tiny brain and you would have to hit their brain th kill one, otherwise you could perforate one with dozens of bullets with little to no effect.

SkyPup said:
Hog hunting with a handgun is always a challenge, especially at night under NODs.

My .357 SIG has a Crimson Trace IR laser in the grip that is simple and instant to use out to 200+ feet at night.

The Galco Miami Vice shoulder holster is a real nice keeping the weight on your chest instead of your hips and keeping the pistol handy for instant access when required.

I commend you Skypup on some excellent shooting. I agree 100% with a chest or shoulder holster. They are up and out of the way when riding a 4 wheeler, in the truck, or even on a horse. I have also found them to be better than a hip holster when you go into the brush. They are less likely to get caught or hang you up.
thumbup.gif

I've taken many hogs at night under NODS's with the CR IR laser on the SIG.357 out to 200+ feet and closer in over the years.

SIG%20229%20CR%20IR.jpg

An IR illuminator helps to tame the IR laser bloom but since it usually is pretty close in, only need it for further out shots.

The muzzle flash on an unsuppressed SIG.357 is terrific at night and will autogate down my PVS-14s for a second or more, you'd really need a suppressor to prevent that from happening.

My SIG P-228 has a red visible CR laser integrated into the the grip panels:

SIG%20228%20CT%20Laser.jpg

Was hiking out to check the feeders in the backyard this morning in the obscene heat and humidity, came up on another sounder @ 150 yards, 70gr Barnes TSX put him down on the spot from the KAC-15 SBR:

KAC%20SBR%207.jpg

KAC%20SBR%207B.jpg

Fourth of July BBQ Time Folks!

100 yard head shot DRT HKMR556 SBR.

HK%20SBR%20Hog2.jpg

HK%20SBR%20Hog.jpg

Happy Independence Day to Americans everywhere!

Originally Posted By: SkyPupFourth of July BBQ Time Folks!

What Time will the Food be Ready SkyPup, All of US here on Predmasters will be there!!!!

Last edited:
Dang, another big arse boar hog falls to the HK 556 SBR axe @ 125 yards with one head shot, DRT!

Those Barnes 70 grain TSX sure get the job done!!!

Big%20Ass%20Boar%20HK.jpg

Big%20Ass%20Boar%20HK2.jpg

Big%20Ass%20Boar%20HK3.jpg

Big%20Ass%20Boar%20Tractor.jpg

Back