My first archery turkey

tomcat388th

Shot this tom yesterday afternoon. Just got the bow pulled up and a group of 5 came over the hill. 51 yard shot with a 100 grain viper trick he went about 10feet. 20lb bird 7/12 beard and one inch spurs
DSCF6173_zpsxdfnhoja.jpg

Congrats! That is a long shot, unless hit pretty near spot on a turkey can get away from you pretty easy. Dang things will pick you out in a tree stand faster than anything I've ever seen. I've had some working my way twice this fall and everytime they have nailed me down before I could get a decent shot. On one of those times five old gobblers picked me off at 40 yards slick as could be even though I was 21' up with good back cover. Later that evening a little buck stood right under me without a clue I was anywhere around. Dang turkeys...
smile.gif

Thanks guys
I've been practicing at 50 seeing how the viper tricks fly and been really getting some great groups. One of the reasons I took a poke at this bird one of his buddies putted and he just stretched up tall to see what was going on. As for deer I won't push it past 35 yards just can't believe how fast they can move when they need to.
justin

well you had better luck than I did on my first turkey. shot mine at 20 yards, he flopped around for a minute and all I could see was a couple feathers. I was hunting deer so I waited until dark. no deer and when I went to get my turkey all I had was 2 turkey feathers, a bob cat stole my turkey.
about a week later I heard a bob cat get a turkey off the roost about 30 yards behind my stand.

Back